Benazhir Bhutto Returns to Pakistan

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Benazir Bhutto returned to Pakistan today and within hours this

KARACHI: Two explosions went off last night near a truck carrying former prime minister Benazir Bhutto, who was on her celebratory return to Pakistan after eight years in exile, killing at least 100 people.
An official said 108 people were killed and many were wounded, although Ms Bhutto escaped unhurt.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22612522-601,00.html

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Partisan reports indicate more than 1,000,000 Pakistani's came out to greet Ms. Bhutto. The opposition claims that it was about a tenth of that number. Whichever side is correct in the counting, the number of citizens that chose to recognize the return of this former leader is an amazing story.

A nasty side effect of her incredible popularity, is that those who seek to do damage, can inflict much damage, relatively easily.

If Ms. Bhutto can establish a coalition government with President Mussharraf, and their can be a return to democratic principles, this day will be seen as a great triumph, despite the sad loss.

The United States has offered Pakistan much prestige and cash in our "war on terror". Hopefully, Ms. Bhutto's return to prominence will be a dividend on that investment.

OP
Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
It has been commented, in Australia at least, that Bhutto decision to return to Pakistan was an indication that Mussharraf's position is weakening. From my own point of view it doesn't look like that is the case.

This attack seems to indicate that there are forces in Pakistan who feel threatened by Bhutto's return.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Her return is --- hopefully, and tentatively --- a herald for democracy.

Many of the citizens of Pakistan are supportive of the extremist idiologies of the Taliban. Certainly, those citizens would not look kindly on anything that might weaken their control and power. The question is, what is the distribution of population in Pakistan? Some indications point to an even distribution between the those citizens who favor democracy and the citizens who prefer the more rigid rule of a theocracy.

Certainly, a couple of suicide bombers is a bad incident. But, has the attack turned the return of Ms. Bhutto into a national symbol, even more than a national hero?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A sad day.

Ms. Bhutto was assassinated today.

The ramifications may be wide spread.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw it first thing when I turned on my laptop this morning. Ms. Bhutto you will be missed. I just hope her death is a wake up call for peace rather than a flashpoint for more violence. I always liked her.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If ever someone deserved the title of "martyr" it is her. I only hope that I would be able to show the pure courage that she has shown in her lifetime for the things that she believed in.

As has been said, I certainly hope this is a rallying point for piece and not a flashpoint for violence.

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am moved by her bravery and saddened by her assassination :asian:

Agreed
She wasn't a warrior, in the sense that she was going to do hand-to hand combat on a battlefield, but I definitely think she had the courage of a warrior.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
She was corrupt. She wasn't the best administrator in the world. But she was a staunch supporter of democracy. But she wasn't a bomb throwing fanatic. She had principles and wasn't afraid to show them. And she was a strong charismatic woman in a part of the world where Mullah Abdul ibn Bigbeard wants women barefoot, pregnant and most of all silent. She was Plan A, B and C for the West. She will be missed.

It is worth noting that in October she said

"I wld [sic] hold Musharaf [sic] responsible," Bhutto wrote to her US spokesman, Mark Siegel, in the October e-mail, which was reported Thursday afternoon by CNN's Wolf Blitzer. "I have been made to feel insecure by his minions, and there is no way what is happening in terms of stopping me from taking private cars or using tinted windows or giving jammers or four police mobiles to cover all sides cld [sic] happen without him."

It is also coming out that she didn't die from bombs or bullets. No autopsy was permitted. And her police guards were removed just before the attack.

But the US and Pakistani governments have decided that it must be Al Qaeda who did it. Has to have been.

I'm waiting for Bolton or Cheney or Giuliani to blame it on Iran.

Latest Discussions