Basics - Hip Bump Sweep

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Full basics series

I have Chris in my guard.
$sweep-hipbumb-1.jpg

I unhook my feet and sit up, one hand on the floor, other around his head.
$sweep-hipbumb-2.jpg

Using my hand and feet I lift my butt up off the ground and turn into him.
$sweep-hipbumb-3.jpg

Without releasing his head I secure the mount position.
$sweep-hipbumb-4.jpg

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nice!

I like to attack this, and when they base forward to stop you to fall back and attack the pendelum sweep you also showed, or vise versa.

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nice one, Andrew. I was shown something similar, but without grabbing the opponent's head. Seems like you would have better control doing it the way you show here.

Rebiu

<B>Banned</B>
Reaction score
The way I learned this sweep is to reach over their shoulder and place your hand on the side of their arm.

He will certainly post on his arm and stop the sweep if it is done the way you show.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The way I learned this sweep is to reach over their shoulder and place your hand on the side of their arm.

He will certainly post on his arm and stop the sweep if it is done the way you show.

Usually, but thats ok, chicken wing it or scope it out from under him.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fair enough though you might have included that in your description.

Well, a lot of these where shot for the kids class, and are as I teach them there, too brand new kids. That was in one of the first posts.

Rebiu

<B>Banned</B>
Reaction score
Well, a lot of these where shot for the kids class, and are as I teach them there, too brand new kids. That was in one of the first posts.

Well the chicken wing is not set up from here because you hips are in front of his.
You seem to make a lot of excuses. Nobody is perfect listening to criticism without getting defensive is how you get better.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well the chicken wing is not set up from here because you hips are in front of his.
You seem to make a lot of excuses. Nobody is perfect listening to criticism without getting defensive is how you get better.

I got no problem with criticism, but a lot of your suggestions are rather questionable, or just plain wrong IMO.

A chicken wing can be done from there, you're probably just not moving properly into it. As I said, this set is the beggining of something for our kids class. Things are simplified, but functional.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd certainly teach the children this move but assuming by chicken wing you mean what we do I wouldn't teach the youngest children (4-8) that.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let's keep this one polite and respectful gentlemen.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd certainly teach the children this move but assuming by chicken wing you mean what we do I wouldn't teach the youngest children (4-8) that.

Pretty sure I mean what you do, kids start submissions after about a year or so. But for them a chicken wing involves control and pinning the wrist to the lower back, once its there, it's over, no pain, no tapping ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I mean what you do, kids start submissions after about a year or so. But for them a chicken wing involves control and pinning the wrist to the lower back, once its there, it's over, no pain, no tapping ;)

That's the one! My problem, if I can call him that, is a 6 year old boy who is a natural grappler! He's going for leg and ankle locks, chokes even etc without having been taught them! He is a natural fighter (his dad is a Gurkha which accounts for a lot!) and I'm constantly looking for techniques he can do that will be suitable for the kids he partners!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the what submissions kids should do is a seperate thread, so: http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50367 :)

Cheers for that,looks as if it will be a good thread! I'm off training now so will reply on that thread when I get back!

I have to say the one thing I find annoying about kids is the way it's so easy for them to break fall lol and the way they are so bendy! :)
Ah well practice, practice, practice for me!

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I got no problem with criticism, but a lot of your suggestions are rather questionable, or just plain wrong IMO.

A chicken wing can be done from there, you're probably just not moving properly into it. As I said, this set is the beggining of something for our kids class. Things are simplified, but functional.

Understatement. Keep posted your stuff Andrew. It's informative and accurate and has been well received by the regulars. I know in my opinion it's been bringing some much needed life to this section of the Forum.

Salute.