Authentic Samurai Swords

Kenpoist

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have inherited a Japanese Officer's sword from WW2 that was surrendered to my grandfather at the end of the war. I am very proud to have it in my possession. Any recommended websites or books that might help me to trace the origins of the sword and obtain a value (other than being a priceless piece of history). I may take it to a local knife/sword dealer and have him take a look at it.

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I see you are in Houston.

Contact Darrell Craig Sensei at the Houston Budokan

see www.houstonbudo.com for the contact information.

Craig Sensei has a few books out that may help you some.

If you call or go see Craig Sensei, tell him I referred you.

Jim Mc Coy

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpoist said:
I have inherited a Japanese Officer's sword from WW2 that was surrendered to my grandfather at the end of the war. I am very proud to have it in my possession. Any recommended websites or books that might help me to trace the origins of the sword and obtain a value (other than being a priceless piece of history). I may take it to a local knife/sword dealer and have him take a look at it.
Be VERY careful about appraising this item. Many of the Officer Katana were mass produced and stamped from railroad steel, so the craftmanship quality may not be there relative to a hand smithed blade by a sword maker. This doesn't diminish its importance to you or history, but be prepared to have the appraisor try to undervalue it as a 'sword' because of the lack of 'quality' in production. Very few Japanese swords that exist today are made to the same procedural/quality specifications as the ones that we mythologize.

As a historical relic, and possibly a keepsake from family history, it will be, as the Mastercard commercial says: PRICELESS, true.

OP
Kenpoist

Kenpoist

Green Belt
Reaction score
I found a local sword dealer - who has been studying Japanese swords for years. We examined the tang and found a lot of Kenji (sp - ancient writing) upon it. His initial assessment is that this sword is probably from the 15th century. It has the cut test markings on the back of the tang as well. I'm sure the oriiginal owners still have the original Koiguchi (scabbard) and the more ornimental Tsuba etc.. My sword was outfitted with the more practical WW2 hardware. More research needs to be conducted.
Thanks to all for your input - I still may contact some other local support.