Arkansas, Vote on Seperation...

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just read where Arkansas is going to be a "no seperation of Church and State".

The vote was close and the finding was that the forefathers wanted the ideology of Christian Values etc. etc.

Ok, now we will see the state grow like a weed, one way to pull in your Right Wing...Are we headed for a showdown, the south will rise again???

Interesting, Gary

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll have to search for this in the news - if so, it's pretty unbelievable to me. Ten steps backwards.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw an article on the motion that was approved to uphold the separation of church and state, not the other way round, as you suggest, Gary.

Could you cite your source, please?

OP
GAB

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, You show me yours and I will show you mine...

Regards, Gary

OP
GAB

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi shesulsa,

I tried posting it several times it won't show what I posted...

It was at http://corporate.findlaw.com/

I will look around and see if I can find it and add it later

Oh well...it was dated 02-18-2005

Regards, Gary

http:/corporate.findlaw.com/ap_stories/other/1110/2-18-2005/20050218164516_09.html

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, well, well. And I see ABC is reporting that they voted against upholding the constitution as well, yet the local paper is reporting the opposite. This is mighty interesting. Lessee if I can get the voting records for the Arkansas state legistlature on line.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi all,

I just read where Arkansas is going to be a "no seperation of Church and State".

The vote was close and the finding was that the forefathers wanted the ideology of Christian Values etc. etc.

They did not vote to be a "no separation" state, they voted against a law specifically mandating the separation. There is a difference.

Interesting thing to note: Until recently, Baptists were very much for the separation of church and state.

Had the initiative passed, it would have been interesting to see if it passed a Constitutional test, as it would have most certainly been challenged at the Federal level and would have reached the Supreme Court. If a law calling for "no separation" had passed, I'm guessing it wouldn't have survivied review.

Regards,

Steve

OP
GAB

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
modarnis said:
Hey that is it..Thank you...

Maybe it's this old Pentium 1 or??? Time for a new computer, as Kaith upgrades his system I find it harder and harder or slower and slower, when I use wife's super speedy one for adobe acrobat and other stuff that just takes forever, maybe it will help my disposition if I get a faster one...LOL

I did quite a bit of research on this last night during the dark hours, no could sleep...

Apparently Arkansas is one of numerous that do not have separation of church and state in their own personal State Constitiution... So it was put forth by the said representitive to add it or make it clear for the separation of church and state and they denied it in a final vote....

So being one of the them that don't rather then one of those that do, it is hard to believe considering William Clinton was the Gov for two terms....

On second thought while typing I find the cursor cannot keep up so it is very much needed to get a new one...

It is like someone is viewing and slowing my computer, peronoid or what???

Regards, Gary

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you look at the dates, the local Ark paper is reporting about what went on in the comittee meeting. The next day was the vote with the full house

T

TCA

Actually, there is no law permitting the seperation of church and state. This has been a lie fabricated by those who wish to take god out of every aspect of our life, bit by bit. I think everyone needs to read the constitution and interprit it as it has been written and not what they think it should mean. The constitution says that government should not interfere in religion. It does not state that people must drop there religious beliefs anytime entering the public arena. The government ran the church in england and the forefathers did not want this in america. P.S. The baptist never wanted the seperation of church and state.

OP
GAB

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
TCA said:
Actually, there is no law permitting the seperation of church and state. This has been a lie fabricated by those who wish to take god out of every aspect of our life, bit by bit. I think everyone needs to read the constitution and interprit it as it has been written and not what they think it should mean. The constitution says that government should not interfere in religion. It does not state that people must drop there religious beliefs anytime entering the public arena. The government ran the church in england and the forefathers did not want this in america. P.S. The baptist never wanted the seperation of church and state.
Hi, Yes you are corect regarding the initial thought pattern.. But there have been many rulings and such by various courts that have held up the "Separation of Church and State"... At the Federal level and at the State level ...That is what was trying to be done here and it did not pass...

As far as various religious factions, I am sure they will go along with it or else they will lose there tax free status....Would'nt that be a hit in the pocket book???

Regards, Gary

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a federal separation of church and state. It is designed to keep the state out of religion and visa versa. It's a good idea.

It doesn't prevent a religious person from being a politician or a politician from being religious. And we shouldn't allow it to be pushed to the extreme on either end of the spectrum.

R

rmcrobertson

I love it when Americans vote to have the same sort of theocracy that they have in Iran.

Latest Discussions