Aoki apologizes for middle finger then channels his inner Kellen Winslows Jr.

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
01-01-2010 01:10 PM:
ept_sports_mma_experts-163428321-1262365553.jpg
It was an ugly night at times for DREAM and Sengoku as the Japanese promotions combined to battle at Dynamite! 2009 in Saitama, Japan on New Year's Ever. A very solid fight card was marred by the out-of-control behavior of Japan's biggest MMA star Shinya Aoki. The 26-year-old jiu-jitsu ace snap his opponent's arm and gave everyone he could the middle finger. That included his downed victim Mizuto Hirota, the crowd and Hirota's corner.

Aoki apologized for flipping everyone the bird:

"After my fight, I was excited, and so I did something rude that I should apologize for. But that showed just how excited I was over that fight."

But he wasn't about to say sorry for cracking Hirota's humerus:

"When I had his arm behind his back, I could feel it popping," said Aoki. "I thought, 'Well, this guy's pride just won't let him tap, will it?' So without hesitation, I broke it. I heard it break, and I thought, 'Ah, there, I just broke it.' I was stopped afterward, but even if I hadn't been, continuing to break it more would have been fine by me."

Then Aoki went all Kellen Winslow Jr. essentially stating he's an [expletive] soldier:

"When [DREAM's event producer Keiichi] Sasahara tells me to go and do something, I do it, and that's how I live my life. If Sasahara tells me to go to Strikeforce and take them out or 'Go and kill that guy,' I'm going to do it. Even if he tells me to go take out [FEG executive Sadaharu] Tanigawa, I'd do that too."​
Aoki also called out Japanese rival lightweight Tatsuya Kawajiri:

"I received a challenge from [Kawajiri], and so without telling him to shut the [expletive] up, I accept the challenge and look forward to our fight."​
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker was in Japan for the event with the goal of signing Aoki for a U.S. fight in the first quarter of 2010.

Quotes via Sherdog

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions