Anyobdy know about this guy

S

Satori

After looking at the site, I'm a bit apprehensive about his "qualifications", as no official governing body was mentioned (WTF, JKA, USJJF,etc...).

There is also NO mention as to what style is taught! He certainly makes a point to say "I'm qualified in unknown Karate, TKD, etc...", but he doesn't ever say "I teach a combination of this, that, and the other thing" or "I teach this style in the traditional sense, as taught to me by my instructor".

Also...what type of Karate is his black belt in? Wado Ryu? Shotokan? Shito-Ryu? Shorin Ryu? There is NO such thing as generic Karate!

Not saying he's a fake...but I'd tread carefully.

May you achieve
Satori

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
From reading the site I got the impression that he teaches TKD, Judo and Jujitsu, just basing that on what he says:

Tae Kwon Do is used for defense when someone is an arm or leg away while Judo and Jujitsu are used for defense when someone gets a little closer

I also get the idea that he got his 9th from his twin brother that was a 10th.
There is a phone number given for those that want more information, go directly to the source and see what he tells you.

O

OC Kid

Heres what i got outta reading his bio...

"Grandmaster John Byrne, who is a 9th degree black belt, also holds degrees in seven different martial arts. He has achieved grand champion status in Karate, Tae Kwon Do, and Judo"

and

"Grandmaster Byrne began his training at the age of six in his hometown of Philadelphia and earned his first black belt at age 15. "

The way it is phrase is that he actually earned B/B in other systems...which ones he doesnt specify. Thats the bestI can do from the info given

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
dsp921 said:
There is a phone number given for those that want more information, go directly to the source and see what he tells you.

I agree with this part of the post. Let's not have another Calkins episode. Those who are intersted should go right to the source. let's not assume anything.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
I agree with this part of the post. Let's not have another Calkins episode. Those who are intersted should go right to the source. let's not assume anything.

you took the words right out of my mouth!

if the guy chooses to advertise his school in the manner he does, so be it. if you desire more information than already given on his website, call them.

Latest Discussions