Any Reccommendation on grappling seminars?

BJJMichigan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Greetings all, I am still new to MartialTalk forums, so bear with me on my postings as I am still a newbie. :) But, I was wondering if anyone has had a good experience or insight into attending a BJJ or a grappling seminar recently. I am currently a student of BJJ here in Michigan and I am always open to getting "new training ideas or concepts" from any and all. As such I thought this would be a great place to get suggestions on which dojo's or instructors put on a good seminar and what seminars to be on the lookout for in the near future.

Thanks in advance!

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi MIBJJ, I just had John Kavanagh (brown belt) to our place for a week. He was great! I haven't trained with alot of the MI bjj guys. I like the folks at East/West Martial Arts in Plymouth. Ryan ( the owner) is a real nice guy. Most of my training there was done with Brian Barzu (sp?), another top notch guy.

oh,.... I also like the guys at wolverine martial arts :ultracool

Where are you training?

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I do about 4 seminars a year...3 of them with Professor Pedro Sauer. He is a 6th degree blakc belt, and you get absolutly priceless info out of them. and everyone who trains with him are very nice. check www.pedrosauer.com for a list of seminars.

regards

OP
B

BJJMichigan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi MIBJJ, I just had John Kavanagh (brown belt) to our place for a week. He was great! I haven't trained with alot of the MI bjj guys. I like the folks at East/West Martial Arts in Plymouth. Ryan ( the owner) is a real nice guy. Most of my training there was done with Brian Barzu (sp?), another top notch guy.

oh,.... I also like the guys at wolverine martial arts :ultracool

Where are you training?

Yeah, I wish I would have found out about your Kavanagh seminar earlier I defnitely would have attended that. I have been training in Saginaw, Mi under Gary Hausbeck at Seung-Ni http://www.seungni.com/. It's been alot of fun been doin the BJJ thing for about 10 months now. I take it your down at wolverine martial arts in Flint?

OP
B

BJJMichigan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I do about 4 seminars a year...3 of them with Professor Pedro Sauer. He is a 6th degree blakc belt, and you get absolutly priceless info out of them. and everyone who trains with him are very nice. check www.pedrosauer.com for a list of seminars.

regards

Thanks, so much for the information on Professor Pedro Sauer, I am going to try to arrange my schedule to where I can attend one of his seminar that come closer to Michigan.

OP
B

BJJMichigan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
De La Riva will be in Lockport, NY (near Buffalo)
November 4, 2006
www.wnybjj.com

Man, I would LOVE to goto that except its my wife's birthday and she would show me a new meaning to a rear naked choke if I attempt to goto that...LOL :) But thanks for the update, hopefully these seminar will continue to move closer to midwest area.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know if it is BJJ, but certainly was grappling. I went to a pretty good class at Dan Severn's in Coldwater Michigan a couple weeks ago.

You may want to check out his website at http://www.dansevern.com/

OP
B

BJJMichigan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to state that BJ Penn is doing a seminar up by toronto, ON airport. Here is the information:

"Currently the agenda for both days is the same. BJ will go over some MMA
techniques, with an emphasis on his world renowed BJJ game. He will also
have a special guest with him, that will be announced shortly. This
person will also be a BJJ blackbelt.​

The $45.00 pre-registration is for one day. You will receive a rashguard
for attending. You can guarantee your spot by registering online at
www.pound4pound.ca, or in person at the kombat arts training academy.​

Dates For Seminar​

Dec 9th - 10am - 3pm (approx. 45min for lunch)
Dec 10th - 1:30-6:30pm (approx. 45min break)​

The location for the seminar is the Kombat Arts Training Academy, in
Mississauga, On. www.kombatarts.com "​

I plan on attending the 12/9 portion of the seminar I will be sure to post what was taught and any pics I get :)

Latest Discussions