Any other talents or skills?

K

Kempogeek

Hi all. Just wondering whether any of you have other skills or talents besides martial arts. For the past couple of years I dabbled in wood crafts of sorts. I make wooden ornaments, mainly martial arts themed since I have a few friends in Karate and TKD. I've also made a Tweety in a Gi, the faces of the cartoon Beatles, some Xmas and even the Rolling Stones "tongue" logo, which was a complete surprise that it came out better that I expected. All the best, Steve

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Balisong, yo-yo, diabolo, astro jaks, I can juggle, the juggling sticks things, slackline, orgami...

I have been thinking about getting a unicycle too.

I don't know, I have lots of hobbies.

If engineering doesn't work out, I figure I can always join the circus.

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, I have a lot of hobbies/interests outside of MA.

The main other hobby that I'm passionate about is snakes! I currently have 5, or various species, and am getting ready to add 2 more giants to my collection. I love raising them, breeding them, visiting museums and zoos where they are displayed, and reading about them. I am an avid reader of the kingsnake.com forum.

I am also into graphic design and layout (although that's part of my job) and computers. Another skill is American Sign Language - I regularly interpret for the deaf.

I am also a passionate musician. I teach piano and band, as well as accompanying for various groups in my church.

What can I say - I'm just trying to get as much as I can out of life!!

Salute,
JB

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lets see there is Kenpo, Martial Arts, Weapons and alot of other painful stuff.

V/R

Rick

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I love springboard diving, and photography- taking photos, arranging photos, editing them, looking at them...especially tournament ones, you can have fun with those!
Aqua
(and p.s. thesensei, snakes! awesome! i have a gopher snake, my friends think i'm crazy but i love it)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can tie my shoes. Does that count?

Seriously, I have no real talents. :(

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmm... talents??
Well there's poetry, drawing, painting, writing, story telling, making friends, cooking, and making people feel good about themselves.

Skills... hmm, caving, teaching caving, being an instructor for just about anything, jack of all trades (master of none), hunting, climbing, and negotiating.

How's that?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm getting back into wildlife photography, though I'm still pretty rusty from several years off. I'm a (poor) artisan bread baker, tastes good but the aesthetics could use some work....

Lamont

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kempogeek said:
Hi all. Just wondering whether any of you have other skills or talents besides martial arts. For the past couple of years I dabbled in wood crafts of sorts. I make wooden ornaments, mainly martial arts themed since I have a few friends in Karate and TKD. I've also made a Tweety in a Gi, the faces of the cartoon Beatles, some Xmas and even the Rolling Stones "tongue" logo, which was a complete surprise that it came out better that I expected. All the best, Steve

Well, on most days I think I've got breathing and walking down but other days I get reminded that I've still got a lot to learn :)

Seriously, though, I'm a good computer programmer in a variety of programming languages. I'm a decent writer - at least according to the people who've read my stuff and, especially, those who've bought my stuff. I'm a fair hand at video editing and getting better all the time. And, according to anyone who knows me, I'm a good talker :)

Mike

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
martial arts IS my main niche.
but, lets see, I'm a pretty good writer when I feel like it,
and everything I own that was at one time white is now tye-dyed.
*thinks*

no, there isnt really any thing else but martial arts.

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
building things! especially cars, love building cars. i also sail, although lately i havn't been able to get near any lakes with the boat. coaching gymnastics is also a passion, but i don't do that anymore either, since i started college.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Other than martial arts? Hmm... I'll have to think for a bit...

Well, I used to be reasonably proficient at shodou (Japanese calligraphy) and sadou (Japanese tea ceremony), though I've been out of practice as of late. I'm pretty good at karaoke, though I'll only sing in Japanese if given the choice. Interestingly enough, I've been told that I have a knack for the arts. Though I don't have any formal training, I have an eye for taking photos, creating good home movies, and doing some semi-advanced Photoshop work. I can also play the saxophone, and am teaching myself the guitar and piano.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been told I'm a decent writer. I knit, crochet and am working on learning tatting, do some jewelry making (beading). Those help lower the blood pressure and bring things back to focus.

I do A LOT of volunteer work with girls and young women, camp, fish ... and I'm trying to get into shooting.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pesilat said:
Well, on most days I think I've got breathing and walking down but other days I get reminded that I've still got a lot to learn :)
I like that!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have acted in and directed "Little Theatre" productions..

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Besides MA's...hmmm
I'm in the process of rebuilding a model of the USS Constitution my dad made (and later destroyed) from scratch, but I'm proving to be hardly the artisan that he was.
I rebuilt my house from top to bottom.
I fix everything (or try) that's broken. (bailing wire & tape in most cases)
I tinker with my Mustang. (I love to race)
I spend alot of time researching history.
I love every sport ever invented (except curling).
I get the urge to cook twice a year, despite pleadings from my wife and kids not to. (BBQ's don't count).
I'm not particularly good at any of it, but I enjoy learning and trying new things. I know just enough about everything to be dangerous. Never could focus on one thing.

Latest Discussions