American Karate...

OP
I

IMAA

One thing American Karate is not, is important, save to anyone other than those who practise it.

Maybe perhaps, I misunderstood this post. But I feel that American Karate is as important as any other form of martial art discipline.

Since I am a student of AK as well as a teacher/Sensei of the system I find it a rather well rounded martial art.

I have an extreme back ground in ChungDoKwan TKD, Pekiti Tirsia kali, Inosanto blend Kali, Serrada Escrima, some knowledge of Shotokan Karate. as well as other systems.

I find myself as a student of all and a master of none. I feel in every aspect of fighting to be unlimitless. Each system has something to offer and in our AK classes we teach all we can from different martial arts as well as that from Karate. Our systems main core comes from shotokan karate we just are not limited to it. IN our sister schools they may teach a hybrid of GojuRyu and something else. Some also teach Ishinryu so who's to say one is better then the other?

just my 2 cents worth
thanks

OP
M

Mike Clarke

My comment regarding American Karate not being important to anyone save those who train in it, was not meant to disrespect anybody involved in it. I was only pointing out that apart from those who are involved in it [and this goes for any other human activity], very few people could care less if it exists or not.

I've trained in karate for the past thirty years, and yet most of the folks I know get along in life very well without it. To them, it's just some 'passtime' I'm involved in!!!!!!

Your martial background sounds impressive to me, but in the bigger picture of life, it's nothing. If you look at my background in the martial arts, you will see that it too amounts to very little.

What we do and the value we get from our activity has more to do with our attitude than the particular way we throw a punch or a kick. From the sound of your post, you like to spread yourself out over many methods, where as I prefer to go deeply into one.
Personal likes and dislikes, thats the only difference here.

Niether [in the long run] is of much importance at all.
Except to us of course.

Mike.