American charitable giving

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's interesting, but there are also explanations for the difference between religious and secular. When I look at my contributions, a large portion are the dues I pay to my synagogue. The money is used to keep the place running, but it is classified as a charitable donation. So while I'm not surprised that religious people gove more, I'm not convinced that donations to charities, as opposed to dues to institutions, are that far apart.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your synagogue do charitable work or sponser any food pantries? I know with the Catholic church we often are asked through special collections to suppport different activities. Many times Priests stationed around the world come in to ask for financial support, which is followed up by a special collection.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Of course we do. The point is that a significant portion of religious charitable giving goes to supporting an infrastructure we use. I give to charities, both religious and secular, but a good part is to the synagogue, which in turn, regardless of the other work it does, uses the overwhelming bulk on things like building maintenance, taxes and salaries.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's interesting, but there are also explanations for the difference between religious and secular. When I look at my contributions, a large portion are the dues I pay to my synagogue. The money is used to keep the place running, but it is classified as a charitable donation. So while I'm not surprised that religious people gove more, I'm not convinced that donations to charities, as opposed to dues to institutions, are that far apart.

Prove it.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not sure. But from my experience, if you take away donations to support the infrastructure of your local house of worship, that reduces the total amount given to charities. Do religious give more than non-religious? most likely. Is it 3 times, after accounting for the support of the local institution? I don't think so.

Latest Discussions