Aiki-Jitsu?

Denoaikido

Green Belt
Reaction score
the do is from shinto the more i research and further my studies into the arts from japan this is what i believe here is a video good on the shinto way of spirituality

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the do is from shinto the more i research and further my studies into the arts from japan this is what i believe here is a video good on the shinto way of spirituality
That might be the origin of the use of "do" in Japan, but in Western schools, it's unlikely they're practicing Shintoism. There are some, but few. And when we look at arts like Aikido, different religions have mostly eclipsed the Shintoism in them.

Denoaikido

Green Belt
Reaction score
that is not true in my understandings if its a real aikido dojo there whole start of class begins in shinto bowing and respect to the showmen if you dont understand the shinto and the budo aspect i think you maybe stemming quite far away from the founders intention when he created the art this is just my humble opinion and i am a aikidoka

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don’t think most “do” arts have any specific development that isn’t found in most “Jutsu” arts.

I agree. It has been my experience that it is a western thing to try and assign strict definitions to Japanese words. Japanese language is very fluid and context driven, so that makes most westerners antsy because we generally want something to mean only one thing.

A great illustration of this is Toyama ryu. It is a gendai sword art created in the early 1900's. It's very practical and is all about learning how to properly cut using a Japanese sword. A number of years ago, I was having beers with the head of one of the major organizations of Toyama ryu from Japan. During the course of the conversation, he referred to Toyama ryu as iaido, battojutsu, battodo, kenjutsu, budo, and bujutsu. All one school, all in one conversation.

It's typically westerners that try to derive deeper meanings to what things are called. The Japanese outlook is to just do it, and let it work its own way out.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that is not true in my understandings if its a real aikido dojo there whole start of class begins in shinto bowing and respect to the showmen if you dont understand the shinto and the budo aspect i think you maybe stemming quite far away from the founders intention when he created the art this is just my humble opinion and i am a aikidoka
The Shinto ritual is there at the beginning, but most of the philosophy in most of Aikido is derived from Omoto - that appears to be the main reason for the change in Ueshiba's approach to Aikido over time.

Denoaikido

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree Omoto from my understanding also played a roll . This was the founders words I train with Sensei Sugawara/s legacy's he was a direct student of Osensei and he comes here even to teach so are school is very authentic i suppose maybe in comparison most schools and very close to the art taught by Osensei vs his son or others that had there own paths or way of teaching , but O'sensei's words Morihei Ueshiba used Omoto terminology to pass on his view of training aiki. But the secret, aiki, was never about the Omoto religion at all acording to O'sensei

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There is no definitive dividing line between aikijujutsu and aikido or even jujitsu, for that matter. I've taught both jiu jitsu (jujutsu, jujitsu, etc, however one spells it) and aikido. They all overlap and differ only in emphasis because they all tend to merge. Even Aikido varies from "style" to "style". Aikijujutsu leans more toward combat applications than aikido and maybe softer than hardcore jujitsu. Just my opinion.

Denoaikido

Green Belt
Reaction score
Also what westerner's don't understand Morihei was a very deeply martial ex-military minded individual that became very spiritual in his path and he would meditate so well it was said he could hear things miles away that no one could explain.In my honest opinion only a few of his students really understood his ways of thinking and or teaching period so many that taught aikido from then on took on there own paths of the art .Thats not saying leaving out things but maybe just not fully understanding it all the way in O'sensei's martial and spiritual morals!

Last edited:

Denoaikido

Green Belt
Reaction score
As far as aikdo imho , japanese jujustsu ,aiki jujutsu, diato ryu jujutsu all these are very close in almost every way as aikido stems right back to diato ryu jujutsu .Now do not confuse this with bjj as japanese jujutsu doesnt focus on the ground at all like bjj its 9 worlds away lol but trained in bjj and aikido they can flow so well with each other just like bujinkan for me also flowed well as im sure any japanese based art would for the right individuals.

Latest Discussions