Advice

Ivel Dragon

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking for any helpful advice on wing Chun. I have been practicing for about a year, and know much, but stuggle puting it all together while sparring.

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I went to your highly creative homepage and watched you sparring ( I assume that is you). Take heart in the fact you are really expending effort to do this, and every step you make is a step on the path to mastery. This is not a small matter. The world is full of people who dream on the couch and you are taking steps to develop the skill. Bravo.

I recently had the opportunity to see two videos of Michael Wong, a wing chun teacher from England, i think. My library had two of his dvd's! He is a non-stop wing chun fighting machine and i think you'd like him.

http://www.wcarchive.com/store/items/michael-wong-videos.htm

OP
I

Ivel Dragon

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, you were correct. I'm the fighter in the shorts. i noticed that wong's stance is pigeon-toed. I expect he fights stright forward. now my knowledge dosn't reflect my skill ,but I do know that is dangerous. you never want "want" to fight all four wepons.

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There is an important concept in Wing Chun called "two hands work as one".

Watch the videos of the Grados wing chun school that are on this site to get the idea of it. There is one that deals specifically with the kind of hook punch your sparring partner likes to throw.

The slight inward turn of the toes creates a pyramid form that is really solid. No reason to be over concerned with it. It creates stability to take incoming blows. Focus on one hand borrowing the force of the incoming blow, say in a tan sau position, and use that force to propel your right fist into his face or body.

The videos by Benny Meng cover this too.

OP
I

Ivel Dragon

White Belt
Reaction score
The guy in the videos dosn't use the right foot work for whatever reason. good hand technique though. my sifu always tells me to replace the target with a block. so if someone is punching for my center line, I step out of the path and let my hands guide his blow past. fighting someone stronger, you can't always exspect to move there blow that far away from the target. so you must move out of the danger. there is video of my sifu on www.punchofdeath.com click on tourniments and look for jade dragon. you should check out E's videos aswell if you get board and want to see some good sparring. think you for the link, and your patience.

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
my sifu always tells me to replace the target with a block. so if someone is punching for my center line, I step out of the path and let my hands guide his blow past

my sifu tells me to do that too, so there is a fairly good chance its right!:)

OP
I

Ivel Dragon

White Belt
Reaction score
Thats awsome, hes all over that other guy he is very mobile, Wing chun works everywhere. I'm going to train thank you again for the kick *** links. I hope you enjoy punch of death.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When a baby starts to learn to walk, he must learn to coordinate, and partake of movments that are foreighn to him, even as he grows he still at times still needs to find his feet. As he is mastering walking until the point that it becomes as natural to him as breathing, he then learns to run, until this becimes natural. Even after 2 years of one on one training with a former student of YM's I still found awkwardenss in putting it together. The best thing to do is simply to fight. The reason why YM's students where so good, is because WC was superior, it is because they put hundereds of real time fighting experiance into their training. FIGHT MY FRIEND FIGHT

OP
I

Ivel Dragon

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes my friend, and fight I shall. I've been going to my school more frequently as of late, and hopefully I will have some more exciting video up soon.

Latest Discussions