Adreline Burst, and seeing the intial attack? How do you deal with it?

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ThatWasAKick said:
1. So I've always wondered if the adrenaline rush is something people normally get over after a fight or two, or if I have a couple bubbles out of plumb.
It's a physiological condition you can learn how to minimise and control. It's basically fear. Fear is like fire. A little keeps you alive, too much will kill you. Adrenaline helps your to ignore pain, and to move faster and with more power than you might otherwise. Just dont forget to think. As you have learned from your previous two experiences, one of the most important things in a fight is keeping cool. Retaining the presence of mind to act and react to the situation as it unfolds. The eager feeling you experience is a by-product of the adrenaline, which is okay. Just dont let it get control over your actions.

2. (I hope this isn't off topic) AnimEdge mentioned "seeing red." Is it really possible for someone to get so angry that they literally "see red?"
In hindsight, there are times when I felt like everything had gone into a red haze. I can still remember what I was doing, but my control had evaporated, my fear of the consequences of my actions so minimised that I could have done just about anything with no consideration for the future. It is a scary situation to realise you were in.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-A little off topic, but I go as often as possible to the local goth club in Rochester. 169 North Chestnut Street if anybody is ever interested;-) Anyways, we have some big guys at the club, the 'regulars' if you will. The club has a loyal group of patrons who will take care of any incident, i.e. fighting. And you can easily recognize the regulars. But there is also a group of us there who are so obvious, hehe. When the regulars take the frontal assault, we take the back door. Yes, learn who to watch out for. Also, if anyone has any questions about goths feel free to pm me. Its been years since I was in a fight, and then I never saw the guy coming, suckered punched me to the side of my head. Of course, then he ran down the stairs and out the door. Whatever.

A---)

Suntail

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here's my two cents. I think everyone else has said the really important stuff, and I loved what AnimEdge said about control and beserk. It was said, a little more poetically, in Ender's Game: "Ender's anger was cold, and he could use it. Bonzo's was hot, and so it used him."

I would make sure that they were going to throw a punch before I did anything. That dosen't mean they have to land it. If not for ethical reasons, then legal reasons. Then probably a blood choke, depending on how much I don't like them. Or maybe a suitcase hold, or a gate punch, or a spiral lock, ... so many options. :uhyeah:

I think it takes a while to get used to adrenaline, so try two things before a sparring match. Smile and think "happy" thoughts. Smiling confuses people, plus it makes them think you know something they don't, or that you're crazy. Thinking "happy" thoughts releases go instead of adrenaline. Very similar but a little different. On top of that it helps you keep a level head.

Last thing (this post) "Every situation is a multiple opponent situation, unless proven otherwise." Or so I'm told. Keep your eyes open.

I apologize for any preachy-ness in this post, forgive me, I'm young.

Latest Discussions