Achilles Tendon Stretches for YJKYM?

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a short achilles tendon, so at times I find it difficult to get into a strong stance. I've been stretching regularly (mainly by putting one foot forward and bending the knee on my back leg as far as I can while keeping my foot flat in addition to just practicing the stance) and things have improved a little bit, but I still feel that there's something more I could do. Anyone have some solutions?

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This little widget isn't too bad for stretching. I use it from time to time... (commonly known as 'prostretch' but may be known as other names from different vendors) etc
http://www.medi-dyne.com/estore/prostretch-brand/the-original-prostretch-single

the-original-prostretch-single

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That pro stretch Kwan Sau showed you is really pretty good.

The stretch you mentioned actually focuses more on your soleus muscle more than the achilles. If you straighten the back leg and keep it straight, step forward more with your front foot and bend you front knee. It's more comfortable if your hands are on a wall in front of you. That will help stretch the Achilles. Just make sure your back foot is straight ahead towards the wall. If you don't focus on the back foot straight your body will splay it out a little as a natural balance. When it splays out, it takes the stretch off the Achilles.

Good luck, bro. Stay with it.

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
This little widget isn't too bad for stretching. I use it from time to time... (commonly known as 'prostretch' but may be known as other names from different vendors) etc
The Original ProStretch - Single

That pro stretch Kwan Sau showed you is really pretty good.

The stretch you mentioned actually focuses more on your soleus muscle more than the achilles. If you straighten the back leg and keep it straight, step forward more with your front foot and bend you front knee. It's more comfortable if your hands are on a wall in front of you. That will help stretch the Achilles. Just make sure your back foot is straight ahead towards the wall. If you don't focus on the back foot straight your body will splay it out a little as a natural balance. When it splays out, it takes the stretch off the Achilles.

Good luck, bro. Stay with it.

Both of you gentlemen are saints, thank you so much!

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
First, realize that the Achilles is the tendon that attaches BOTH the soleus and the gastroc to the heel. When you stretch with your knee bent, you have disengaged the gastroc (which crosses the knee) and are stretching only the soleus (which doesn't cross the knee). When you stretch with your knee straight, you are stretching both the soleus and the gastroc, but primarily the gastroc. The pro stretch tool is good, but honestly you can do essentially the same thing by putting a 2 x 4 longwise on a set of stairs and putting your foot on it at different heights and leaning forward. Another good stretch is to lay flat on your back, take towel and loop it across the bottom of your foot, keep your leg straight, and pull on the towel to stretch your calf. The drawback here is that you have to pull pretty hard to get a good stretch. The good thing about it is that you are able to relax your leg for a better stretch compared to when you are standing. Hold each rep for 30 seconds. Holding it longer doesn't give additional benefit. Repeat at least 3x per session and try to do it 3 different times during the day. You gain flexibility by stretching often, not be stretching a lot at one time. Hope that helps.

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a short achilles tendon, so at times I find it difficult to get into a strong stance. I've been stretching regularly (mainly by putting one foot forward and bending the knee on my back leg as far as I can while keeping my foot flat in addition to just practicing the stance) and things have improved a little bit, but I still feel that there's something more I could do. Anyone have some solutions?

Just out of interest how do you know you have a short achilles tendon?

I get various leg pains in YJKYM and just put it down to getting older, so I'm curious to know what symptoms you have and how it was diagnosed?

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just out of interest how do you know you have a short achilles tendon?

I get various leg pains in YJKYM and just put it down to getting older, so I'm curious to know what symptoms you have and how it was diagnosed?

Basically, I have trouble keeping my feet flat while keeping my knees bent, or keeping my back foot flat when, say, taking long strides. I was diagnosed by an orthopedic surgeon.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Basically, I have trouble keeping my feet flat while keeping my knees bent, or keeping my back foot flat when, say, taking long strides. I was diagnosed by an orthopedic surgeon.

Was the diagnoses from an MRI or a physical exam?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Physical exam.

Good. Like KPM said, no MRI needed. Did the Doc mention or suggest one of those night splints for lengthening the achilles while you sleep?

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good. Like KPM said, no MRI needed. Did the Doc mention or suggest one of those night splints for lengthening the achilles while you sleep?

Actually no, I'll look into that though!

To change the topic a little bit, does anyone know exactly what muscles/tendons a good YJKYM stretches/engages? Obviously it has to be more than the achilles :p

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
A good YGKYM stretches all the muscles of the back of the lower leg....except the gastroc, because it crosses the knee and when you bend your knee it is relatively slack. The gastroc-soleus is what most people mean when they say "calf" and it is what uses the Achilles tendon as an attachment. But any of the posterior leg muscles that cross the back of the ankle are going to be stretched to some extent as well. This includes the tibialis posterior, flexor hallucis longus, and flexor digitorum longus. The night splints are pretty uncomfortable and most people won't use them for long. This is because to have enough tension to produce a decent stretch the splint has to put a lot of pressure on the ball of your foot. After a couple of hours that starts to really hurt! Just get on a good stretching regimen like I described.

Latest Discussions