A simple breaking question.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has anyone here broken any 2"x12" boards or do you stick to the inch pine? I am asking for an upcoming demonstration that I have coming up. I want something that is more difficult to break than the standard 1" board. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
searcher said:
Has anyone here broken any 2"x12" boards or do you stick to the inch pine? I am asking for an upcoming demonstration that I have coming up. I want something that is more difficult to break than the standard 1" board. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.
Try any of the following:

Planking
River Rock
Red Brick
Fencing blocks
Plywood (but be careful...it bends as if to give, then returns...hard on hyperextended joints)
More than one piece of 1" pine, without spacers
Ball bats (yes, plural)
2x4's
4x4's (kicks or elbows)

And my favorite, as seen on the video "Budo", spearhand through an apple held in the cupped hand of a compatriot.

Make it count, but practice first. Broken bones heal slower if they happen in front of crowds at demo's. Something about embarrassment slowing recovery.

Regards, and good training/preparation/luck,

Dave

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
And my favorite, as seen on the video "Budo", spearhand through an apple held in the cupped hand of a compatriot.

I popped a baloon with a spearhand a few days ago...does that count?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would strongly suggest that you stick with 1" pine that isn't wet. Just ask Shihan Kanazawa what can happen when people try to break under less than ideal situations.

If you want something more difficult, just use multiple 1" pine boards, with or without spacers, depending on your likes.

Other materials include the 2" concrete or cement slabs. Going through two shouldn't be a problem for you. Again, keep your breaking materials dry.

OP
searcher

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have used stacks of pine boards with and without spacers. I have never done slabs like pavers or bricks, are they difficult? I don't like 2x4's because they flex> I was just wondering about the 2x12's. The demonstration is for a group of teens in my church. I have several items that we are going to demonstrate and then give a little seminar.

Thanks for the replies and support.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
searcher said:
slabs like pavers or bricks, are they difficult?
The 2" concrete / cememt slabs are not difficult at all. They're just somewhat more unforgiving in the event of a failed break. If anything, they are easier than they appear, since this material does not flex nearly as much as wood does.

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
2x4s flex because they are "with the grain" cuts. If you are going through standard 2x4s (assuming you are striking them, not running through them with your body), I don't think you'll have any trouble with most of the concrete blocks.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Quit being wussies. Tameshiwara is an integral part of training...if you can't break a brick, what on earth would cause you to think for a moment that you could break a bone?

I've broken each of the things I mentioned in my list....including my hands. I KNOW when I hit someone, their facial bones will crack. If I can plow through stone, I can plow through bone. Start small, and work your way up. You'll have arthritis when you're old, anyway, so why not be able to hit hard, too?

Regards,

Dave

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Quit being wussies. Tameshiwara is an integral part of training...if you can't break a brick, what on earth would cause you to think for a moment that you could break a bone?
It's an odd question. What makes you think you can because you can break a brick? Personally, I broke a couple to see what it was like and then stopped because it's uninteresting and a different hitting that I didn't want to focus on.

If a brick can break your hand, what makes you think a bone won't? Perhaps you think bricks and bones are different things after-all?

Start small, and work your way up. You'll have arthritis when you're old, anyway, so why not be able to hit hard, too?
I know may old people who do not, including many martial artists. Your premise is faulty.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jerry said:
It's an odd question. What makes you think you can because you can break a brick?
Not A brick. Many bricks, over time, to make a better fist. Followed, incidently, with a history of breaking bones. As a courtesy to my sparring partners of the time, I discontinued breaking/focus training.

If a brick can break your hand, what makes you think a bone won't?

Odd. I don't remember saying that I thought this. Many folks break their hand bones on faces. Kinda common. Particularly for people who don't condition their body for impact.

Perhaps you think bricks and bones are different things after-all?
Uhh, yeah. Bricks are, um, bricks. And bones are, uhhh, wait...it'll come to me...

I know may old people who do not, including many martial artists. Your premise is faulty.
IF I offered a premise, it would be, "The cause of all degenerative disorders is trauma". But I didn't offer a premise. I suggested an embedded conclusion as a universal generalization, to which you have contradictory evidence, thus nullifying the proposed universality of my suggestion. (feel better?)

I DO maintain, for the record, that repetitive minor injury to the hands (as in repeated striking of solid objects) presents a cumulative trauma situation that can, and likely will, lead to degenerative osteoarthritis. Including (if you like this sort of thing) bone callous formation (hypertrophic changes).

Regards,

Dave

PS -- I also maintain that martial artists who repeatedly strike hard or dense objects (makiwara, heavy bags, bricks, etc.) are better prepared to deal with the "surprise" of how a fist colliding with a skull can feel...particularly to the unprepared.

kanjc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Rather than finding items that are harder to break, have you considered just doing more difficult strikes? If you are doing kicks instead of a step-side, try a turn snap. If you are using your hands instead a punch or chop try a ridge hand....Just a thought

Latest Discussions