A Revolution I Have Been Discussing Myself Recently ...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23990211

The consequences of the quietly advancing technologies of computing power and three-dimensional printing are likely to have profound influences on the way that capitalism works.

I wonder if this will be the make-or-break test of the Tinfoil-Hat Brigades claims about the wealthy elite functioning as a world governing oligarchy? Will the mega-corps kill the technology so as to keep their grip on the mass-consumerism honey-pot? Or will we all become our own producers, buying input from skilled designers and engineers?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The idea is to make it easier for people to produce for themselves.
It is a good idea. Some of the problem is that when one needs special plastics or other content for your 3d printing device that those might be put into a controlled substance that makes it harder for the average person to get it.
Paper work and permits and costs might make it cost prohibitive versus large companies wanting to control this.

Note: This is not a special group taking charge and limiting this is just greedy businesses wanting to make money and trying to control the market. And as long as they work together as an industry then the small person trying to get started cannot get started without a lot of money up front as they would not be breaking any monopoly laws.

The issue is that they might make certain items Class felony for the designs and also for the manufacturing. Such as fire-arms.

I personally think it would be a good thing for small businesses and would force larger ones to pay attention.

Latest Discussions