A Guerrilla Guide to Canadian Heath care.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

LOL. I had no idea who this guy was before tonight, but I watched several of his videos, he makes me giggle.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But on a serious note... 9 hour waits at the ER? 3 year waits to get a Blood test? A year long wait for a necessary surgery that cost a woman her legs? And Suggestions that instead of using the Socialized Medicine that they go purchase private healthcare elsewhere?

Is that REALLY how it works?

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But on a serious note... 9 hour waits at the ER? 3 year waits to get a Blood test? A year long wait for a necessary surgery that cost a woman her legs? And Suggestions that instead of using the Socialized Medicine that they go purchase private healthcare elsewhere?

Is that REALLY how it works?

No.

Er waits depends on the severity of the injury. Show up in the ER with the sniffles and be prepared to wait. I've never seen a routine blood test take more than an hour in the hospital. A couple of days to get the results from my GP. Surgery is the same, depends on the severity and urgency.

I'm not saying our system is perfect, it does have room for improvement, but I wouldn't trade it for the US system.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No.

Er waits depends on the severity of the injury. Show up in the ER with the sniffles and be prepared to wait. I've never seen a routine blood test take more than an hour in the hospital. A couple of days to get the results from my GP. Surgery is the same, depends on the severity and urgency.

I'm not saying our system is perfect, it does have room for improvement, but I wouldn't trade it for the US system.

Thanks.

Do you suppose that Nurse who told him that he would have to get a Family Doctor in order to have a blood test and there was a 3 year average wait to get one of those, but he could suck it up because he is young enough not to need it yet was a Plant? Also I understand that Sniffles are going to wait, it's similar on a busy day down here, they triage that stuff low priority, but Is it also normal for a 3-9 hour wait for a broken bone? Or, again was he fabricating that?

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks.

Do you suppose that Nurse who told him that he would have to get a Family Doctor in order to have a blood test and there was a 3 year average wait to get one of those, but he could suck it up because he is young enough not to need it yet was a Plant? Also I understand that Sniffles are going to wait, it's similar on a busy day down here, they triage that stuff low priority, but Is it also normal for a 3-9 hour wait for a broken bone? Or, again was he fabricating that?

There is a shortage of family doctors. Keep in mind that Quebec is not exactly the poster child of efficiency in Canada. Also remember that she was struggling to converse in English, I would have liked to see that conversation in French. Let's face it, a young, slim seemingly fit patient walks into a clinic and wants a cholesterol test. Why?

It depends on the broken bone. The guy with the broken clavicule he talks about, my guess is that he was not in distress, so he got triaged somewhere in the middle of the pack.

I went to the ER last weekend with severe abdominal and lower back pain. I was seen right away. I had an ultrasound within 30 minutes. Happened to be at lunch time so it took a couple of hours to get the official results. Showed nothing. Less than an hour after that I was having a CT scan. Kidney stone. Prescription for pain meds, follow up with GP. Total time in ER 4 hours.

The system could be better funded. A number of things are being done to help ease the burden on the ERs.

And BTW, most walkin clinics are open on weekends. the hours are restricted, usually 8-8.

The guy is not much more than an underfunded conservative version of Michael Moore.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
But on a serious note... 9 hour waits at the ER?

I've sadly had many trips to the ER due to my wife's earlier health problems. We've never waited less than 2-3 hours, and we've had all-nighters (8 hours or more) many times. It doesn't even seem to matter how many other people are there, one of the all-nighters was in a mostly deserted ER.

3 year waits to get a Blood test? A year long wait for a necessary surgery that cost a woman her legs?

My wife had a months-long wait for her gallbladder surgery, despite the attacks and extreme pain. One charming time, one of the nurses told my wife to quiet down because she was disturbing the other patients - never mind that she was doubled over in pain screaming. Nor would they give her anything because she wasn't in a bed. None of which were available right then.

All of this with private, "good" insurance, in private hospitals.

I've found that public vs. private makes very little difference in the services you receive. I've had awesome and terrible from both, with no apparent correlation.