a foolish consistency...

R

rmcrobertson

I realize that this won't change anybody's mind in the least, but here's what I'm interested in: the complete contradictions--not flip-flops, complete contradictions--in our current Administration's character, philosophy and actions.

For example: in '91, Cheney was bragging about cutting weapons systems on the grounds that we wouldn't be needing things like the F-14 in the future; now, he's screaming for a bigger military budget, on the grounds that we may be needing the hardware in the future.

Or, we attacked Iraq on the grounds that they were--no, that they MIGHT be a threat in the future--but we negotiate with North Korea, when we KNOW that they're a threat right now.

Or, we need to cut spending and be fiscally conservative, BUT we just spent ourselves 500 bil in the hole with tax cuts and a prescription drug program.

Or, Clinton was wrong to missile an Al Quaida training camp and put soldiers in Bosnia, but...you get my point.

Or, Clinton was wrong to nation-build because that's impossible, but Bush is right to nation-build because we have to.

Or, young people should support their country and their army, especially in wartime, but, me and nearly all of my advisors ducked Vietnam service. The Army is invaluable in terms of what it teaches, but I didn't pay any attention to Colin Powell's advice.

See, what fascinates me is the extent to which Bush's supporters appear to be utterly incapable of looking at his record and current events, and simply say, "Well, this is a prob and I don't like that, but on balance, I support the guy." Instead, there're jumps in logic, erasures of the record and present reality, personal attacks on guys like Kerry--and, which is what I'm interested in here, about the most contorted and self-contradicting arguments I've ever seen, and I've hung out with academics for the last twenty-five years or so.

So--we had flip-flops; I'd be interested to see Bush's record of flat-out self-contradictions.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
I realize that this won't change anybody's mind in the least
As a side note, I can almost guarantee you that if you quit sprinkling your posts with snide comments like these, people would like you a helluva lot more, and be more receptive to your substansive comments. Just a note.

For example: in '91, Cheney was bragging about cutting weapons systems on the grounds that we wouldn't be needing things like the F-14 in the future; now, he's screaming for a bigger military budget, on the grounds that we may be needing the hardware in the future.
I agree that all the others are pretty cut-and-dry contradictions, but this ones not as solid. For example, Cheney could have been arguing (note, I said could have been, because I haven't seen his exact '91 address) that he'd cut weapons expenditures on older or out of date technology such as the F-14 to make room for newer technology, in which case no contradiction is involved. So in other words, some context would be nice.

And you're right, this isn't changing my mind one bit, but that's because I'm already gonna vote for Kerry.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Dear Side Note:

Sigh.

Sincerely,
Snoopy

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
lol

'Spose a response to the second part of my post was too much to ask for, Snoopy. This seems kind of ironic, considering how often you accuse others of responding with personal attacks rather than addressing issues.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

"As a side note, I can almost guarantee you that if you quit sprinkling your posts with snide comments like these, people would like you a helluva lot more, and be more receptive to your substantive comments."

I changed the quote slightly. Did you have anything to contribute to the topic?

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Did you even bother to read the second half of my post, concerning Cheney's claim about military spending? Here, let me quote it again for you.

"I agree that all the others are pretty cut-and-dry contradictions, but this ones not as solid. For example, Cheney could have been arguing (note, I said could have been, because I haven't seen his exact '91 address) that he'd cut weapons expenditures on older or out of date technology such as the F-14 to make room for newer technology, in which case no contradiction is involved. So in other words, some context would be nice.

And you're right, this isn't changing my mind one bit, but that's because I'm already gonna vote for Kerry."

See it now?

OP
R

Ronald R. Harbers

They're all politicians, and all politicians have to lie. Most Americans can't think critically. But I don't worry whether it's Kerry or Bush. Both can be counted on to get Congress to act and kill these enemies. We have to get them over there or over here. The Constitution requires that the President respond to any attack on America.(Section 8)

Undecided in 2004:idunno:

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
My dear, dear Robertson *big sigh*,

'A mind is a terrible thing to waste.'

I had high hopes for this thread. Keep up the positives and lose the negatives, PUH-LEEZE?! KT

OP
R

rmcrobertson

My dear, dear KT:

Perhaps you could offer your own sets of Bush's contradictions?

Thanks,
Mycroft

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
My dear, dear KT:

Perhaps you could offer your own sets of Bush's contradictions?

Thanks,
Mycroft
Robertson, Until I joined this forum and became hooked on dallying in the Study instead of the kenpo forum (which was my original intent) I was one of the most apolitical beings you could ever meet. HardheadJarhead deserves credit for hoisting me out of my political doldrums and inciting me to think about this election. I am not quite yet equipped to participate in this thread, other than to read and learn from those whose opinions I respect. Therefore, post on. KT

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
I realize that this won't change anybody's mind in the least, but here's what I'm interested in: the complete contradictions--not flip-flops, complete contradictions--in our current Administration's character, philosophy and actions.

Let's see... As a reformed drug and alcohol abuser, (and our only president with a criminal record) GWB supports and continues our unsuccessful war on drugs, advocating mandatory minimum drug sentencing. Direct family members excluded, of course.

As a sovereign nation with WMDs, we invade another nation and kill military personel and thousands of civilians on the pretext it PROBABLY has WMDs and would like to kill thousands of our civilians, if given the chance. I could go into the misuse of America's grief and fright over 9/11 to serve selfish corporate purpose here, but I don't want to stray too far from the topic.

This administration extolls the virtue of smaller government and civil liberties while creating the Homeland Security department, spending more than one billion dollars per week on two wars, the first of which (afghanistan) is now largely ignored; and passing the Patriot Act.

"Leave no child behind, shoring up education so that America stays at the forefront of business and technology blah blah and every American has the skills for a decent job (paraphrase)" --ha! Cut $680 million to this program as well as about $400 million for after school programs, not to mention suggested cuts in Pell grants of $260 million and vo-tech and adult education grant cuts of $304 mill.

There are so many contradictions, where to begin, really.

So what's the point of this post, Robert? To sway the undecideds, or are you just stirring the pot?

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
So what's the point of this post, Robert? To sway the undecideds, or are you just stirring the pot?
Well, he started the thread off by saying that he didn't expect anything he said to change anyone's mind in the least, so I'm guessin' that it's the latter.

The point is, Bush's administration is crap, vote for Kerry.