7th Dan Modern Arnis

sungkit

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mike Dizon & Tom Caprio:

I have posted under the topic of 8th degree black belt (or something similar). Please read to see my views. It is late here inthe Philippines and I have to rise nice and early. I will post about this later tonight.

To be short, concentrate on your own training and development. Datu Dieter has put the time and effort into his training and research and deserves some respect.Additionally he has been commended by the senior masters inthe Philippines for his continual work at promoting notonly modern arnis, but all systems of FMA. Keep away from politics and train a little more!

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod Note:

Hello Everyone,

Please read this notice stated here by Seig:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15344

We will not tolerate beleaguering our fellow members. Please remember that friendly discussions does not mean that you win the argument or to coerce someone to believe the same way as you.

It that means you state and share your points on topic and in a courteous and respectable manner.

If the discussion gets heated, then take it offline and PM the parties involved. If you as a member feel that you are being harassed or someone has stepped over the line, then report the post or behavior to a Moderator.

Best regards,

Palusut
MT Moderator

sungkit

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think Palusut's post should be respected. If you have something to say to the other parties that is not constructive or is going to degenerate into a bad attitude, keep it private and PM the person involved.

OP
Dieter

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry I am not a native engish speaking person but I did not get the point. Of course I heared a slight negative touch in Mike Dizon and Tom Caprion posts, but was it that bad that the moderator had to step in?

Please clarify the "why" for me.

Thank you.

Dieter Knüttel
Datu of Modern Arnis

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dieter said:
Hi,

Sorry I am not a native engish speaking person but I did not get the point. Of course I heared a slight negative touch in Mike Dizon and Tom Caprion posts, but was it that bad that the moderator had to step in?

Please clarify the "why" for me.

Thank you.

Dieter Knüttel
Datu of Modern Arnis

Hi Dieter,

I was not stepping in on any one person's post.

The reminder was put in this thread, the 7th Dan thread and at the top of both the FMA forum and MA forum because of various "conflicts" that needed to be addressed and to ensure that the highest number of people saw our administrative warning.

If you or anyone else has a personal concern about my actions, please PM me or the MT Admins Seig or Kaith.

Best regards and good posting,

Palusut

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Dieter,

I think Palusut was heading off what could have happened in this thread. The "8th degree..." thread was reopened and it started to get slightly toasty and I'm sure he didn't want this one to get that way as well. The moderators have been really cracking down on the flame wars as of late. It cuts down on the excitement but it keeps the forum as it should be - an area for discussion.

Sungkit,

I copied your post and placed it here for others to read.
Palusut and other Esteemed members of Martial Talk:

I have mentioned in previous posts,I am a student of Guro Roland Dantes and have been for several years.

I have been here in the Philippines for several months training and will be here for another two months at least (hopefully)! It has been very interesting for me, as in addition to the training I have undertaken to further my understanding of kali/eskrima/arnis, I have been conducting interviews with a number of the grandmasters/masters in different parts of the philippines.

Having trained directly under the auspices of Guro Roland, I have been taught to respect and appreciate all instructors and styles of the art who are teaching in a manner which reflects well for the art. Regardless of approaches taken, we are all doing our best to travel the journey we are on. Our paths may be different, but no bodyever said that they have to be the same. Hey, my girlfriend washes the dishes differently to me, but I do not dislike her for that!

Guro Roland was very fortunate to train directly with Professsor Remy Presas and also to have a close relationship with this remarkable man for decades. He was with him in the Philippines during the early years of modern arnis and was even with him when the art was first introduced to the USA. After his teacher stayed in the USA, he was also able to train with many other very well respected masters of various styles here. This was not disrespecting the teachings of his teacher, but was a reflection on the love of the art that his teacher helped him develop. The framework of the art that his teacher provided him with also allowed him to learn this other material and assimilate it into what he had already been taught.

The senior masters of modern arnis here in the Philippines are united and have been since they were training under Professor Remy A. Presas. They have chosen to follow the paths that suit their desires and that is what martial arts are about. Individuals gaining what they want from their training and study.

This weekend I am meeting a number of the Senior Masters with my teacher, Guro Roland Dantes. This will be to conduct a group interview with them for Australasian Blitz (a great martial arts magazine in Australia. There is a distinct chance I may submit it to FMA magazine also) so that they can also contribute their views to modern arnis and what they see as the future for the art they and many others who were taught by Professor Presas and his qualified students hold dear. Should you have any questions that you would like me to ask them, you can send me them via a private message or post them here and I would be happy to do so. Please note though, any politically motivated questions will be disregarded.

There are many students of the Professor progagating modern arnis throughout the world. Of course there are those in the Philippines. There are also masters like Kelly Worden, Tim Hartman, Dan Anderson, Dieter and many others. All of these men and their students are continuing the legacy of Professor Remy Presas.

Palusut:
I do know that Guro Roland wil be attending the event hosted by Guro Hufana in October in Las Vegas. Hopefully you and others can attend and meet with him there.

Please post us and let us know how the interview turned out. It sounds like a great opportunity.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

sungkit

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dan,

No problems from my end with putting my post under this topic.

The interview is going to be interesting and I think can be very beneficial to modern arnis. The Senior Masters will be more than willing to answer questions and it is no problem for me to ask what questions are requested.

Cheers.

sungkit

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dieter,
As Dan pointed out, it was not you. Some people like to casue friction and I think that it was a good idea of Palusut to pre empt where people may have been heading. Those guys had only made a few posts and they were heading down the avenue of politics.

I hope all is well in Germany. Guro Roland has received the vidoes/dvds that you sent him. He is still telling people here what a sensational event Alfred and yourself hosted. I cant wait to see the demonstrations etc.

M

mike dizon

Thank you for the reply datu Dieter. I arent questioning your training in modern arnis. Just who claimed to be taught by master Remy Presas.