7 Star Mantis Links?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can someone point me to some resources on the 'net about 7 star mantis? I'd like to read more about the art and its fighting tactics. A glimpse at a 'typical' syllabus would be nice too.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks. I do use Google as most people on the 'net probably do. I was looking more for recommendations from people who practice 7 star mantis. Perhaps they know of an active community like the Mantis Quarterly or even some obscure site that isn't linked prominently from Google's top searches.

Thanks for the link anyway. I'll check it out. Any more from anyone else?

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, are you a 7 star practitioner, looking to get into it, or just looking for general information?

One of my favorite sites is

http://www.lawclansman.com/

It has some great information on 7 star theory, etc. It's interesting, though, because as you go to different lineages and sifus, some of the theory changes slightly. I've noticed different "12 key words" in different lineages, most are the same, but a couple are different. Those other key words are always covered in other theory, but I suppose you could say that the emphasis is changed slightly for different lineages. A major caveat is that even the best written explanations of some of the theory will leave you scratching your head in terms of application (particularly the 12 soft methods).

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm considering starting studies and I wanted to research the art a bit more to decide if 7 star mantis is for me. Thanks for your help!

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm considering starting studies and I wanted to research the art a bit more to decide if 7 star mantis is for me. Thanks for your help!

I've only been studying for a little over 2 1/2 years, but if you have any other questions, I could try to help out, or someone else on these boards might.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did you study any other art before starting mantis, Marc? I ask because I lots of experience in Japanese styles, and I'm afraid I may have too much reprogramming to do. I'm very dedicated to the existing karate system, but I'm attracted to the quick-stepping artistry I see in some of the mantis sets.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
Did you study any other art before starting mantis, Marc? I ask because I lots of experience in Japanese styles, and I'm afraid I may have too much reprogramming to do. I'm very dedicated to the existing karate system, but I'm attracted to the quick-stepping artistry I see in some of the mantis sets.

My history prior to adopting 7 star was a pretty drawn out one. I started in Tang Soo Do in my teens, dabbled in Aikido in college, tried out Hwa Rang Do after college, but that quickly gave way to studying My Jong Low Horn for a couple years. Then medical residency and marriage/kids hit. 10 years later, I picked up my training in 7 Star PM and haven't really looked back. I made a very conscious effort to start with an empty cup, but your body just doesn't forget some things (for better and worse).

The footwork and connection of the upper body and lower body are something of a challenge. I'm not sure if my previous training has made it more difficult than it would have been as a neophyte. I have had some back injuries during my training, too, so that has taken some work to get around as well. My interim training in another style of kung fu has probably blunted some of the more rigid stancework of the Korean styles.

I can say it's certainly a different way of moving, and there is also a lot more soft characteristics than you see in a lot of Japanese karate (from what I know). Loosening the hips has also been a challenge.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughtful reply! I believe I'm going to take a few private lessons to further investigate the style.

Chiu_ Luen_ Sect

White Belt
Reaction score
[SIZE=+3]THE FOUR PRINCIPLES[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+3]OF MOVEMENT[/SIZE]

The four principles of movement are used in conjunction with the previously mentioned 12 principles. There are many movements in our style. It is like a large puzzle. The principles of
movement turn it into a puzzle in which no matter how you put the pieces together, they fit. This is in part why the moves are done a certain way. The four principles of movement are:
1. Gow (reeling)
2. Pow (casting)
3. Faw (float)
4. Jum (sink)

The principles of movement are based on the principles of opposites. Every action has an equal, opposite reaction. Cause and effect. First let me explain the first two principles; reeling and casting.
To try to make it clear, if you stand up and pull your left fist back to your shoulder with force this is called REELING, you will feel the right side of your body start to move foward/turn automatically and naturally. Now, as you feel your right side start to move punch out with your right fist. Try this a few times and you will see the left hand movement gives impetus to the right hand. The right hand action is called CASTING. It it sort of like the pulley action in a simple karate / kung fu reverse punch but the use of the type of action with the arms away from the body is unique.
Since one action causes an equal opposite reaction, reeling and casting are the way we use less of our own physical power and more technique to generate power. The use of physical power slows you down. So we seek a balance between the use of physical power and technique. So, to
reiterate, the left hand diu sao pulled in and caused the body to move forward. This is the foundation of the way we move and gives our movement its unique wavy, swaying flavor when done properly.

Link

Last edited by a moderator:

Chiu_ Luen_ Sect

White Belt
Reaction score
[SIZE=+3]THE TWELVE SOFT METHODS[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2](sup yee yau faat)[/SIZE] The twelve soft (yielding) techniques are another example of taking a few techniques and applying them in different situations. The term "soft" or "flexible" implies that the techniques are not power based. However they still can be strong. The 12 soft are more like principles than exact techniques as in the 8 hard methods. The twelve soft techniques are:
1. Test rigid and withdraw
2. Attacking the attack
3. Hooking around a defense
4. Searching through a revolving path to attack
5. Hooking hand dissolves force
6. Enter quickly attack after plucking
7. The free hand attacks
8. Engaging the inner gate and enter an attack
9. Pressing down defense with rising attack
10. Flicking outward to return an attack
11. Closing the hands after a separation
12. Wrapping hand disolves a grab

Link

Chiu_ Luen_ Sect

White Belt
Reaction score
[SIZE=+2]CHIU CHEUNG LEUN[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Seventh generation[/SIZE]

Born May 5th 1927 in New York City's Chinatown, His family moved to to Toisan County, Gwan Dong Province, where he grew up. He started training at the age of eleven at a Buddhist temple near his home. This was the Yip Ming Duk Jee. The Yip Ming Duk monks had been practicing the mantis style for as long as they could remember. Two of the monks took a special liking to Chiu Leun and taught him. They were referred to as simply "Big Monk" and "Small Monk". Chiu Leun could grasp the essence of a technique from just seeing it a couple of times so the monks were happy to teach him. He learned many hand forms from the monks before going to Hong Kong.

Link

Latest Discussions