5 Ancestors Fist in Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa

FranciscoNegron

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi there,

Currently, I am a judoka (sankyu, training to test for nikkyu). I remember about a year ago on my way home, driving, I saw a gentleman on his motorcycle with a staff (gun) strapped to his back and had a t shirt that says 5 ancestors Kung fu. I’m wondering if there are any teachers in the Valley (East Valley preferred) that teach anything besides wing chun. Actually for my body type, I would actually prefer to find a Bagua or HsingYi teacher.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi there,

Currently, I am a judoka (sankyu, training to test for nikkyu). I remember about a year ago on my way home, driving, I saw a gentleman on his motorcycle with a staff (gun) strapped to his back and had a t shirt that says 5 ancestors Kung fu. I’m wondering if there are any teachers in the Valley (East Valley preferred) that teach anything besides wing chun. Actually for my body type, I would actually prefer to find a Bagua or HsingYi teacher.
I recently moved to Mesa and have been looking around for instruction and I'm interested in similar arts. I haven't tried out any of these instructors yet, but some places that might interest you (at least they interested me!):

Hsing I and Bagua (says he/they teach in the East Valley) - SAAMCHOY.COM
I Liq Chuan - Falling Leaves Kung Fu
Sanda - https://www.pansanda.com/
There's also a gentleman named Peter Pena who was teaching Hung Gar through Gilbert Parks and Recreation before the pandemic anyway. From a little research online it sounds like he may also teach Bak Mei and Lung Ying, though I don't know if he does so publicly.

And as you already said, there's a ton on Wing Chun schools in the area.

If you try out any of these places or find anyone else teaching CMA in the East Valley I'd love to hear about it. I'm not ready to start in with a new school just yet but I plan to jump bank into training as soon as the virus is just a little better under control.

Cheers!

Edit to add: I've also been thinking about taking Judo if I don't like any of the CMA schools that I find. I'd love to hear your opinion of the schools in the area if you don't mind sharing them.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi there,

What's your body type? Also, how would your body type be good for Baqua and Hsing-i ...since they seem (to me) to be quite different?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's your body type? Also, how would your body type be good for Baqua and Hsing-i ...since they seem (to me) to be quite different?
The "Body Type" thing has always puzzled me. If someone wants to take a martial arts then take it. If they are overweight, then don't worry about it, since the weight can be lost during training. If they aren't strong then don't worry about it because the person a can become stronger through training.

I've seen this many times before here, but the concept is still foreign to me, being that training will shape what the body should be.

I look at people like this and fat people doing Yoga, Fat people doing Martial MMA but when it comes to there seems to be this willingness to limit ones self.

Then you have this group of people. All of the "Body Type" talk seems non-important since training will shape the body to what it needs to be with what it has.

greytowhite

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have permission to teach Baguazhang foundations here in Phoenix. The Saam Choy site is my kung fu uncle's he has since moved to Payson and is the mayor there. I teach Qigong on Sunday mornings at 9AM at Alwun House Gallery in Central Phoenix. Most of what I teach is from Jiang Rong Qiao's Old 8 Palms with some Neigong from Xingyiquan. I'm still working on the more advanced parts of Xingyi but have a good foundation. Since 2017 I've also been working on Han Family Yiquan and have been toying with Yang style Taijiquan a bit.

OP
F

FranciscoNegron

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I recently moved to Mesa and have been looking around for instruction and I'm interested in similar arts. I haven't tried out any of these instructors yet, but some places that might interest you (at least they interested me!):

Hsing I and Bagua (says he/they teach in the East Valley) - SAAMCHOY.COM
I Liq Chuan - Falling Leaves Kung Fu
Sanda - HOME | Mysite
There's also a gentleman named Peter Pena who was teaching Hung Gar through Gilbert Parks and Recreation before the pandemic anyway. From a little research online it sounds like he may also teach Bak Mei and Lung Ying, though I don't know if he does so publicly.

And as you already said, there's a ton on Wing Chun schools in the area.

If you try out any of these places or find anyone else teaching CMA in the East Valley I'd love to hear about it. I'm not ready to start in with a new school just yet but I plan to jump bank into training as soon as the virus is just a little better under control.

Cheers!

Edit to add: I've also been thinking about taking Judo if I don't like any of the CMA schools that I find. I'd love to hear your opinion of the schools in the area if you don't mind sharing them.
I train at Riki Dojo USA. I’m actually lucky to find it because the majority is BJJ or competition judo oriented. Come by and visit. Riki Sensei is the real deal and we’re very welcoming. :)

www.rikidojousa.com

OP
F

FranciscoNegron

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I’m 6ft and over 350lbs. I’m doing weight lifting and other stuff to lose weight. The thing is I gotta be disciplined to control my portions and you can’t out train a bad diet.

OP
F

FranciscoNegron

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have permission to teach Baguazhang foundations here in Phoenix. The Saam Choy site is my kung fu uncle's he has since moved to Payson and is the mayor there. I teach Qigong on Sunday mornings at 9AM at Alwun House Gallery in Central Phoenix. Most of what I teach is from Jiang Rong Qiao's Old 8 Palms with some Neigong from Xingyiquan. I'm still working on the more advanced parts of Xingyi but have a good foundation. Since 2017 I've also been working on Han Family Yiquan and have been toying with Yang style Taijiquan a bit.
For holistic and out of my own curiosities, I would like to study Chinese martial arts for the appreciation for the arts.

OP
F

FranciscoNegron

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For a while we did Jika Boei (self protection) on Thursdays and hopefully we’ll get back to it. There are did striking techniques that are practical and not flashy at all. I would be interested in Kempo and neija for strikes.

greytowhite

Green Belt
Reaction score
For holistic and out of my own curiosities, I would like to study Chinese martial arts for the appreciation for the arts.

I hope you stop in for class. I have two regular students at the moment and work with various experience levels from 20+ year experienced martial artists to brand new people. I'll be in San Diego this upcoming week and hope to meet with some other kung fu people.

Latest Discussions