35 year old beginner in Austin, TX seeking school / instructor information

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know you've gotten a lot of replies thus far so anything I might have to say at this point might be moot. lol

I am no expert, but I have learned a lot in my kung fu training, and would like to help you out as much as I can with what knowledge I have.

I would just warn you to be careful of any kung fu school that claims to be simply "kung fu" or "shaolin kung fu". Kung fu is not a style it is a martial art that has hundreds of styles under its name.

With no disrespect to anyone who does Shaolin Do, I would stay as far away from them as you can. Shaolin Do has a pretty negative image in the kung fu community. Any school that claims to be kung fu and wears gi's is a bit fishy...

Any kung fu school that claims to be traditional, but holds a belt system is a bit fishy too. Not saying that a kung fu school can not adopt the belt system, but once it does, it is no longer a "traditional" school.

No matter what MA or style you choose I wish you all the luck. I applaude your efforts to find a good TEACHER as opposed to just a good school.

::salute::

Latest Discussions