.223 ammo

Shin71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Whats the best round for generic training. I just bought one of these for a three gun matches and I just realized how much ammo costs. Anyone know of a good (cheap) source for supply; I dont have a press (yet) but probably will in the future so reloadable rounds are preferred.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im having luck with a 1000 rd lot of Ultramax 55 gr I purchased from Cabelas. Its re-manufactured using Lake City brass with the primer crimp removed so it's relodable.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What twist rate is your barrel?

If you have a 1 in 9" barrel, then I suggest Winchester Q3131A, which is a very clean burning load that has proven to be pretty darn accurate in my AR's.

OP
Shin71

Shin71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What twist rate is your barrel?

If you have a 1 in 9" barrel, then I suggest Winchester Q3131A, which is a very clean burning load that has proven to be pretty darn accurate in my AR's.

Its a 1/7 twist, actual Colt barrel; the rilfle I call Frankenstein since I made it out of parts. Its mostly Colt/Bushmaster but the lower is DPMS:ak47:

Where can I pick up the Win ammo? I will probably try the lake city stuff too if bulk is affordable.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its a 1/7 twist, actual Colt barrel; the rilfle I call Frankenstein since I made it out of parts. Its mostly Colt/Bushmaster but the lower is DPMS:ak47:

Where can I pick up the Win ammo? I will probably try the lake city stuff too if bulk is affordable.

You can buy Winchester white box 55 grain FMJ at almost any gun store. Also, the big chains, the likes of Dick's, Sports Academy, etc., should carry it.

In your case, though, you have a very fast twist, with that 1 in 7" barrel. A 55 grain FMJ might not be optimal for such a barrel, although it would certainly work well.

62 grain ammo would probably be the better choice, in which case you can find at any number of dealers. Ammoman is one such place:

http://ammoman.com/webstore_223.htm

Also, Natchez has Sellier and Bellot (excellent Czechoslavakian ammo):

http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?c...ier and Bellot 223 Rem 62 gr Green Tip 20/box

and Fiocchi:

http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?c...&prodTitle=Fiocchi 223 Rem 62 gr FMJBT 50/box

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you can, reload your 5.56 ammo.

There is cheap 55 gr FMJ out there and that is what I do.

But yes, if you don't reload, Winchester 55 gr FMJ, or Federal, or Lake City (if you can find it.)

What is more, with the problems the 62gr GI round has, the 855 that is, I've found I prefer the 55gr M193 stuff better for I'm not the Army and for SD use the 55gr old GI load is fine.

So that way, my practice round is pretty mch the same as the SD round.

Deaf

Latest Discussions