2020 armor

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone used the 2020 armor? It looks interesting and like it could be a good way to add some variety to training but it is CRAZY expensive.
For anyone who has used it, was it a worthwhile investment?
For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, it's this stuff 2020 Armor

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The price isn't that steep when compared to the existing systems. Maybe there are better prices elsewhere, but the first place I looked for Daedo electronic sparring gear would cost about the same for chestguard, helmet, and gen-2 shoes.

I don't have any experience with it. I imagine there are going to be bugs and connection issues to work through. However, I could see this as being the future of the art. Bringing power back into the equation will probably get a lot of the respect that TKD has lost in the martial arts community recently.

The at-home system is probably mostly a huge waste of money. I don't see this as doing much more than BOB does right now. I have a StrikeMeter for my BOB, which measures relative impact of your strikes so you can compare them. The company that makes the device is going out of business. I see people using the at-home system a few times to test it out, and then just using it as a basic kicking dummy after that. Same with the classes. Just like exercise bikes, treadmills, etc.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have 4 of them. The students enjoy using them in class. There are various "games" you can play to help disguise repetition. We offset the cost by running competitive inner-school events with them. We have the students compete in kicking and punching power, reaction time, and speed kicking. You can also run competitive sparring without needing judges to score points. The app that goes along with it is sometimes a bit buggy, but supposedly this is going to be addressed with an update in the next few weeks.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The price isn't that steep when compared to the existing systems. Maybe there are better prices elsewhere, but the first place I looked for Daedo electronic sparring gear would cost about the same for chestguard, helmet, and gen-2 shoes.

And with Daedo, you need transmitters, a receiver, and the little video game controller things the corner judges use. Here's a site selling a Daedo sparring ring kit, without helmet or socks, for $3,367: The Daedo TrueScore System

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And with Daedo, you need transmitters, a receiver, and the little video game controller things the corner judges use. Here's a site selling a Daedo sparring ring kit, without helmet or socks, for $3,367: The Daedo TrueScore System
However, (playing devil's advocate for myself), Daedo sparring can be easily simulated in class by simply having a judge call whether something is a point or not. A judge isn't going to be able to replicate the scoring system used here.

You can prepare for Daedo sparring without Daedo gear a lot easier than you can train for this without these.

OP
J. Pickard

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would never consider the Daedo gear personally just because I wouldn't get much use from it. We don't do a lot of WT sport competition and when we do compete its usually in local point/full contact kickboxing tournaments or old school WTF TKD style tournaments where you have to visibly stop your opponent with what they called "trembling shock". I just have some floor space and time available and was considering filling it with a recreation program that doesn't require any long-term commitment and thought incorporating the 2020 armor could be fun but I don't know anybody who has it so I thought I'd see if anybody on here has it and thinks it's worth the roughly $600 per hogu.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would never consider the Daedo gear personally just because I wouldn't get much use from it. We don't do a lot of WT sport competition and when we do compete its usually in local point/full contact kickboxing tournaments or old school WTF TKD style tournaments where you have to visibly stop your opponent with what they called "trembling shock". I just have some floor space and time available and was considering filling it with a recreation program that doesn't require any long-term commitment and thought incorporating the 2020 armor could be fun but I don't know anybody who has it so I thought I'd see if anybody on here has it and thinks it's worth the roughly $600 per hogu.
I bought mine around Black Friday and got them for around $450 each. They offer specials from time to time, though the Black Friday deals seem to have been the best.

OP
J. Pickard

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I bought mine around Black Friday and got them for around $450 each. They offer specials from time to time, though the Black Friday deals seem to have been the best.
I might keep an eye out for that. Thanks!

Latest Discussions