1984, Anyone?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1984, Anyone? Cameras on streets in the UK now have operators who can view people and scold them on loudspeakers for "misbehavior":
CCTV

Ever since reading 1984, in 1984, lol, I have felt that such a society as Orwell envisioned would come about gradually and not suddenly. I think I was right...

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
1984, Anyone? Cameras on streets in the UK now have operators who can view people and scold them on loudspeakers for "misbehavior":
CCTV

Ever since reading 1984, in 1984, lol, I have felt that such a society as Orwell envisioned would come about gradually and not suddenly. I think I was right...

i recall Marshall McLuhan commenting that 1984 was actually about England 1934.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
The country has rapidly become a "Big Brother" state under New Labour. The amount of laws that can result in the fining of an individual have rocketed under this regime. Perhaps we could have our own military coup?

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The country has rapidly become a "Big Brother" state under New Labour. The amount of laws that can result in the fining of an individual have rocketed under this regime. Perhaps we could have our own military coup?

V for Vendetta

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am sorry I missed this post when it was first posted.

Where I live, in the US, the State Police have cameras everywhere around the capital. I was in State Security and we had an issue that could easily have been settled by the film in the camera (the person responsible would have been arrested). When I contacted the SPs about the film and explained to them the situation they said "those cameras don't have any film" Needless to say no one was arrested and the guy whose car was damaged/robbed/vandalized was not all to happy.

So I guess we are 1984 light here

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the UK, we now have 1 camera for every 27 people according to media reports. And all people, across all towns across the UK are acught routinely several hundred times a day. I find it very conveniant that in the current climate of political and religious unrest that this is "for our protection". An increasingly interfering, meddling group of "nannystateism" is growing in the west, and it's really starting to piss me off.

I've done nothing wrong, why should I be filmed and photo'd hundreds of times daily? "What about state security"? What? Filming and confirming the London bombers AFTER they'd bombed London? Great use there. They weren't around during the "Troubles" in Northern Ireland, and are merely an attempt by this govt to spy on it's own populace. Scum!!! :soapbox:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The United States is very Orwellian. We have similar stuff here. Not only that the news media is so controlled that only the permissible opinions are actually aired. Then there is always the 2 minutes of hate that the news programs show, the sound-bites and video segments of certain inviduals that Sheople get all frothed up about. Then we have the ministry of love that doles out war on our enemies (enemies, which are changed ever decade or so).

It is here too, my friend.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
The United States is very Orwellian. We have similar stuff here. Not only that the news media is so controlled that only the permissible opinions are actually aired. Then there is always the 2 minutes of hate that the news programs show, the sound-bites and video segments of certain inviduals that Sheople get all frothed up about. Then we have the ministry of love that doles out war on our enemies (enemies, which are changed ever decade or so).

It is here too, my friend.

Radicalism. Increasingly, seemingly the way ahead.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I recently had a talk with someone from the US that lived in Thailand, or was it Malaysia (he lived in both places), for awhile and they have cameras everywhere and those are used to basically act as toll booths and police. You get billed for driving under certain cameras and you get tickets for going to fast under certain cameras.

It is one thing to know you are being watched it is another to know you are going to be charged for being watched.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently had a talk with someone from the US that lived in Thailand, or was it Malaysia (he lived in both places), for awhile and they have cameras everywhere and those are used to basically act as toll booths and police. You get billed for driving under certain cameras and you get tickets for going to fast under certain cameras.

It is one thing to know you are being watched it is another to know you are going to be charged for being watched.

Well, those kinds of traffic cameras are pretty commonplace here in the States, too.... particularly along the interstate.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got one of those camera based tickets when I lived in Germany in the early 90s. I started to accelerate above the 50 km/h limit before getting outside the city limits.

I wish it was sent directly to me. The ticket was sent to the Post Commander who sent it to my Company Commander who gave it to my 1st Sgt who then gave it to me after explaining to me that speeding isn't a good thing. Well, those probably weren't his exact words. ;)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From yesterday's paper (11/05). The attitude about the cameras is often the most concerning part.

Attachments

• $frazz200611095195.jpg
    $frazz200611095195.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 91

Latest Discussions