advice? Springs necessary to prevent broken punching bag chains?

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For those of you that have experience with killing the punching bags? Do you think a damping steel spring is necessary?

I managed to break the chain links (twice) on the big punching bags in the dojo, the metal is likely subject to low cycle fatigue, or possibly been exposed to excessive peak forces that either are due to heavy sack swinging or on the kicking impact.

I noticed there is no spring damping, the sack was hanging off a huge beam, with the chains directly hanging in the bag. Any peak forces are directly absorbed by the chain links. I have a feeling there are different opinions on wether the springs are needed.

What do you guys see in your dojos? spring damping or not? How often do you replace the chains on the most heavy (full height) bags hanging?

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For those of you that have experience with killing the punching bags? Do you think a damping steel spring is necessary?

I managed to break the chain links (twice) on the big punching bags in the dojo, the metal is likely subject to low cycle fatigue, or possibly been exposed to excessive peak forces that either are due to heavy sack swinging or on the kicking impact.

I noticed there is no spring damping, the sack was hanging off a huge beam, with the chains directly hanging in the bag. Any peak forces are directly absorbed by the chain links. I have a feeling there are different opinions on wether the springs are needed.

What do you guys see in your dojos? spring damping or not? How often do you replace the chains on the most heavy (full height) bags hanging?
Use larger or higher tensile strength chains. A spring will reduce fatigue, but does change the dynamics of the bag.

OP
Fungus

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I guess that is a solution, however the existing chains doesn't exactly look unsuitable/small/weak. So you are telling me that its uncommon to use springs? I really have not clue, I'm curious whats the recommended way. I see that springs are sold for the purpose and they are presumable reducing peak forces in chains, and in the roof, and mayve in the bag attachmenets as well?

The bag is heavy doesn't swing like a smaller boxing ball, but it swings at worst I'd say 25 degrees on som thrusting kicks, so not alot, but normall it don't swing alot at all. but ther are up or down components as you work on it, not sure which is the major impacts.

Latest Discussions