Advantage Martial Arts Has Over Guns

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
If he asks a question you think has been answered, okay. Don’t answer it again. Just leave it.

In my opinion.
Or they could leave a reference if they think the question has been answered. A simple post number reference would do. In the upper right corner of every post is the post number and if somebody thinks a question has been answered they could simply say to see whatever post number they think the answer is on. I've made references to post numbers on this forum myself. If somebody makes a claim that a question already has been answered then it falls upon them to prove that claim. A simple post number reference would be proof enough.

rabbittoystory

White Belt
Reaction score
If you're using martial arts in self-defense, it’s often seen as more controlled and less lethal, which can definitely play better in court. It’s like having a built-in safety net that not only protects you physically but legally too. So, rolling with martial arts might just save you from more than just a bad guy, it could save you from a legal headache too!

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So apparently if you do get involved in a physical altercation and it does go to court the prosecutor will do an investigation and will know just about your entire life story, so they will definitely know if you've got a background in the martial arts. But why would they care and why would it matter? It shouldn't matter in court what belts in the martial arts you've got, if any, and what kind of martial arts training and skills you've gone through or acquired, what would matter would be how badly you hurt somebody and the situation in which you did it, not the method you used to do it.

Where I went to college there was a case of a student who was strangled to death in her dorm room by her boyfriend. Whether or not he had a background in the martial arts I don't know but it shouldn't make a difference in his sentence. Murder is murder and strangling somebody to death and having a background in the martial arts is not going to make them any more dead than if you strangle them to death and you don't have a background in the martial arts. Dead is dead, plain and simple. Somebody shouldn't get a leaser sentence when they commit murder just because they don't have a background in the martial arts, or for that matter just because they strangle somebody to death instead of shooting them to death. In all cases their victim is equally dead so in all cases they should get the same sentence.

Now, having a background in the marital arts might make it easier for you to hurt somebody more severely than if you don't have such a background but again, it matters on the damage you inflict not on the method by which you inflicted the damage. Even if you were to shoot somebody, it should depend on how badly you hurt them as opposed to the fact that you shot them instead of punching them or strangling them or whatever.

So having a background in the martial arts or having whatever belts or whatever skills shouldn't get a person heavier charges and heavier sentences, what should is the damage they inflict and the situation in which they inflict it.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have to clean a whole bunch of home invader off my walls.
3848ceaa-30d6-4e17-b74e-484b64a7c84b_text.gif

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you're using martial arts in self-defense, it’s often seen as more controlled and less lethal, which can definitely play better in court. It’s like having a built-in safety net that not only protects you physically but legally too. So, rolling with martial arts might just save you from more than just a bad guy, it could save you from a legal headache too!
I'm curious if anyone here has any first-hand insight on this, as I can only go on hearsay: the claim is that if you're known in the court to have trained in martial arts, you're apparently held to higher standard or something like that, and the duty to retreat can be imposed on you even in a stand-your-ground state. I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard a lot of people say it.

What I do know is that there's no national or international database or clearinghouse that the head instructor enters your name into that the police can access when you sign up to train. So unless the person you defended yourself from knows you personally, then keeping your mouth shut about your martial arts training should get you through. Assuming there's a need to do that in the first place.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone here has any first-hand insight on this, as I can only go on hearsay: the claim is that if you're known in the court to have trained in martial arts, you're apparently held to higher standard or something like that, and the duty to retreat can be imposed on you even in a stand-your-ground state. I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard a lot of people say it.

What I do know is that there's no national or international database or clearinghouse that the head instructor enters your name into that the police can access when you sign up to train. So unless the person you defended yourself from knows you personally, then keeping your mouth shut about your martial arts training should get you through. Assuming there's a need to do that in the first place.
David hooks killing in Australia I think went there.

"In other evidence, a boxing trainer has told the court that Micevic was a shy but dedicated junior boxer.

Louie Korica said Micevic trained in martial arts and boxing from the age of about 11 to 15.

Mr Korica told the court he was quiet to the point of being shy, but was dedicated and won an Australian junior amateur title.

Two witnesses last week told the court Micevic hit David Hookes with a left-handed punch.

Mr Korica told the court Micevic jabbed with his left and his power punch was with his right.

Micevic has admitted punching Hookes outside the hotel, but says he only did it after Hookes hit him twice."

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
David hooks killing in Australia I think went there.

"In other evidence, a boxing trainer has told the court that Micevic was a shy but dedicated junior boxer.

Louie Korica said Micevic trained in martial arts and boxing from the age of about 11 to 15.

Mr Korica told the court he was quiet to the point of being shy, but was dedicated and won an Australian junior amateur title.

Two witnesses last week told the court Micevic hit David Hookes with a left-handed punch.

Mr Korica told the court Micevic jabbed with his left and his power punch was with his right.

Micevic has admitted punching Hookes outside the hotel, but says he only did it after Hookes hit him twice."
What was the outcome? Hooks fell and hit his head? Micevic goes to prison? Sounds like self defense gone wrong?

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rather, a person with a gun. Who was he? How did this happen?
Song choe Tae Keon do instructor, brought a friend over from South Korea was helping the dude out, dude walked in the do jo and shot him dead. From what I was told.

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
Was it related to the class or were there personal conflicts between the victim and the assailant?
Don’t know, was in another do-jo and heard it from my then fellow classmate then called up the school and was told the information I posted.

Latest Discussions