Zu help oR not zu help - zat is ze qwestjon...

OP
MaartenSFS

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK what if you were in the middle of a foreign country (say Thailand) where you didn’t speak the language and you were the only Westerner in sight?

What if the attacker is wearing a clown outfit and has balloon animals?

This is all hypothetical by the way, there may be a world of difference between what you think you would do and what you will do when faced with any of the listed situation. And there are multiple variables that you may have to consider. What if you are with your significant other or a child, do you expose them to the possibility of escalated violence or do you get them out of there to protect them? What if you are just not feeling well? What if others are jumping in? What if....etc?

EDIT:

I wanted to add this

A friend of mine was an LEO and HAD to respond to a domestic. When he got there he and his partner saw a rather large man holding a woman off the ground, against the wall, by the throat.

The friend of mine dove in and took the guy down and his partner followed. Shortly thereafter my friend got a WHACK in the back of the head with a cast iron frying pan from the woman that was recently suspended by her neck by the guy he was fighting with. She was screaming leave my husband alone. Luckily the guy was cuffed by then and his partner had time to turn and stop her form hitting him again. The guy I know got a concussion. I do not know what happened to the husband and wife tag team frying pan wrestlers.

Thing do not always work out like we believe they will. And then there is the good guy syndrom (for lack of a better name) that gets people hurt and killed too.

The first one happened to me - except without the clown and in South Eastern China in the Middle-of-Nowhere^3. That could have gone really wrong, but the situation de-escalated almost immediately. *WHEW*

The second is a classic example of a good deed backfiring. There are a lot of lunatics in the world...

OP
MaartenSFS

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Out on the streets one can be as cautious as humanly possible... key points is to avoid going into areas/neighborhoods where these type of crimes typically happen. Can't help that? Then be wise and be totally observant and aware of everything that's going on.
Hearing a woman or child screaming help? Sure go find out what's wrong but wait! Wait to see what is happening before getting into the thick of it. Even if it's a small helpless child. Things are always NEVER what they seem to be. Make the call, give exact locations (if possible) and again wait. If you can see the child/elderly person's assailant take notes as to what they look like or use your camera phone if you got one. Then get into it.
Playing hero seems very noble. Playing hero are for those who are guaranteed to win everytime (i.e. guys wearing capes and masks).
Seems to me you're looking for ways to do this. Looking for opportunities to play the hero. You talk about the great "what-if's" and honestly from my experience... there are none. 99% of the time they NEVER happen. ... and the other 1 % sure as hell isn't going to happen the way you envisioned it.
Choose your battles but choose them wisely. The streets are no place to try out this great idea/battle plan. The other guy didn't "read your notes" and isn't going to play by your scenario, mainly because they don't even know it's a scenario and don't even care. You're meddling into THEIR business and by god you'd better do something quick because they're gonna make sure you stay out of it. (that's their thinking... I know... I used to be one!)...

Brain-training is one thing. Brain train however for the realistic as possible and with the mind set of "expecting the unexpected". If you've never lived out there where these type of scenarios can happen, you're putting yourself in danger when that cape comes out and the theme music cues up.

Any veteran street cop can tell you this.

Also, more importantly... if you see a situation like the ones you've been describing... ask yourself... do you have the right?

That's all fine and dandy, but if it is a situation where if you don't act NOW or someone, possibly innocent, will die it changes the "game". These things often happen so fast that by the time the police arrive they will just find the empty crime scene.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If I am with loved ones I definitely wouldn't act the same as if I was alone. I am responsible for their lives as well. I can take care of myself, but extra baggage makes everything a lot more complicated.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The first one happened to me - except without the clown and in South Eastern China in the Middle-of-Nowhere^3. That could have gone really wrong, but the situation de-escalated almost immediately. *WHEW*

The second is a classic example of a good deed backfiring. There are a lot of lunatics in the world...

You really have to be careful when a guy is packing balloon animals :uhyeah:

Glad to here it turned out ok

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's all fine and dandy, but if it is a situation where if you don't act NOW or someone, possibly innocent, will die it changes the "game". These things often happen so fast that by the time the police arrive they will just find the empty crime scene.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If I am with loved ones I definitely wouldn't act the same as if I was alone. I am responsible for their lives as well. I can take care of myself, but extra baggage makes everything a lot more complicated.
This is why I would help. It may backfire on me but what are you gonna do, "interview" them first to make sure they won't turn on you? Or let them die?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Was it Mother Theresa who said: Some people are going to treat you like **** and act like a ****ing *******, but help them anyways. Maybe it wasn't her
icon7.gif

OP
MaartenSFS

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is why I would help. It may backfire on me but what are you gonna do, "interview" them first to make sure they won't turn on you? Or let them die?

I would probably charge in and get myself killed in one way or another, but I prefer to die like that than of low air quality, olde age, or a traffick accident. .5J/K

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you saw someone in a dangerous situation, and it looked genuine, would you unconditionaly take it upon yourself to resolve the matter if they were a...

1) man

2) olde man/woman

3) child

4) handicapped individual

5) and/or young woman?

I have helped everyone in all of this groups.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's sickening but understandable. I would sure hope someone would give me a hand but would never expect it. I've been helped out once by a shop keeper with a cudjel who ran out and chased a couple guys off me. Other than that, no one's ever helped me even the odds. I know I don't want to see anything because I'll feel obligated, have to overcome my fear of a painful death, or be stuck with a feeling of guilt. I feel safer dealing with a car that might explode, than a guy stabbing me up for trying to help his victim. I hate the sound of someone screaming though... Tough call for me. Maybe when I'm ten feet tall and bulletproof. I like breathing.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also have steped in to help those in need befor
sometimes you just do not have to think about it depending on the situation at other times it is wise to make sure you know exactly what is going on befor steping in

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
We had a case here ,only a week or so ago, where two good samaritans went to the aid of a woman being beaten up and dragged from a taxi during the morning rush hour in the middle of Melbourne. The solicitor and Dutch backpacker who went to help were shot as was the woman. The Solictor died at the scene and the woman and backpacker are still fighting for their lives as we speak. The attacker was a member of a biker gang who had an illegal handgun hidden on his person. He has since surrendered to police.
When you go to help someone like that, generally you dont stop to think that you might be killed yourself. Why is it that some people will step in without hesitation, while others stand back and analyse things first, and others turn their backs and try to ignore the situation( hoping someone else will do something).
Personally, I have stepped in a few times to help in different situations, and I must admit I have felt scared and wondered if I am doing the right thing at the time, but in most cases it has been the right thing. Especially in the case where very young children are involved, like grabbing a toddler that had run away from his mother and was about to get hit by a car in a car park.
I think every situation is different, and hopefully our Martial arts training might help us to asses a situation a bit more quickly or accurately ,( maybe listening to that small voice inside)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it looked genuine yes in every case. I would rather help and be wrong than not help. The quality of mercy is not strained.......
Ok, you are carrying your baby in your arms. Do you still help? hand your child to a stanger? lay it in the bushes?
Sean

Latest Discussions