Your Rights Online: Canadian Censorship Takes Down 4500 Sites

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your Rights Online: Canadian Censorship Takes Down 4500 Sites on Tuesday December 29, @03:00PM

uncadonna writes "According to activist group The Yes Men, the government of Canada has shut down two parody websites criticizing Canada's poor environmental policy. The article goes on to claim that 'In response to Environment Canada's request, Serverloft immediately turned off a whole block of IP addresses, knocking out more than 4500 websites that had nothing to do with the parody sites or the activists who created them. Serverloft was shown no warrant, and never called the web hosting company about the shutdown.'"
Read More...

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Believe me, Canada's environmental record is friggin dismal and frankly embarrassing. The U.S can do us a huge favour by labelling tar sand oil as 'dirty' and so untouchable as an energy source.

However, the Yes Men have, in the past, posed as Canadian officials to international diplomats, and that's a big no-no. I'm not at all surprised that the government took the hammer to them.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is tonnes of information on the web about every countrys poor policies to combat global warming, this sounds more copyright laws, or something similar to me.

And as JDenver says these guys have been involved in some **** in the past. I'd take this story with a mountain of salt.

Latest Discussions