Your first car

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What was your first car, and what was it's cost and condition?

Mine was a 1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with 180,000 miles I got in 1998. It was falling apart. I paid 2000 for it. It was a big dark silver boat of a vehicle with 4 wheel drive (broken), power windows and locks (broken), rear wiper (broken), brown plaid interior, removable back seats (broken) and (broken) AC. THe heater, however, was only (partially broken.) Naturally all these things waited until after I bought it to break. What a pile. I loved it.

Oh yeah, and it had no radio either. Boom box in the back seat.

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My first car was a Chevy Chevette which had a diesel engine. It was given to me by my brother in '93. It didn't have a radio or air conditioner, and I drove it until I screwed up the timing by running it out of diesel. I learned a valuable lesson there about always making sure that my vehicle has fuel in the tank. :lol:

It was a wreck, but it was mine.

Haven't thought about that car in awhile...thanks :) .

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first car was an 84 Chevy s-10 4 wheel drive. Cost.. keeping it running with over 500,000 miles on it. That truck was purchased by my grandparents in October of 1984... I was born that July. That truck was handed down to me. I had a blast in that thing. I drove it for a couple of years until it threw a rod on a stretch of highway out in the middle of no where. Though to that truck's credit I managed to climb 2 hills (roughly 1000 ft) to the nearest gas station.

Proof of preventive mantinece though. My grandparents had it regularly serviced. The only major componnets replaced were the transmission, transfer case, water pump, starter, and radiator.

*sigh* I miss that truck. As ugly as it was (body took a beating when my dad drove it a short time) I loved driving it around. One of these day's I'll get around to replacing the used engine I bought for it... which means never. *sigh*

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A 1968 Ford PU, keep in mind I was born in 73. Hmm I paid $250 for the truck and as for its condition it was sad. I don’t know how many miles were on it because the odometer was broken, but when I got it home (on a trailer) I pulled the oil plug and mud came out. Well to make a long story short I pulled the motor 289 and reworked it as I could save money. I was 15 when I got the truck and was working at Precision Tune doing oil changes and helping with tune up’s. Anyway after putting every dime I could beg or borrow I went back with 10.5 to 1 forged pistons, bored .40 over, competition cam, headers, high rise intake, and a C-6 tranny that everyone said could not be done but with the help of a torch I got it in. The list goes on and on. Then I put the tack out of my dads old race car (dirt track) and slapped a set of Cragar five spoke wheels with 235x60’s (it helped a lot having Harry’s Hot Rod next to my shop was able to put a lot in lay a way)

Well I drove/ raced the truck for about six months till my dad caught me blowing the doors off a 5.0 mustang just down the road from our house and made me sell the truck. I still wish I had that old beater to this day.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first was a 1969 Cutlass S 350 2-bbl Automatic. Yellow w/white vinyl top. As quick as a rabbit and it only cost me $50 (Thanks, Grampy!).

It took all of $7 to fill her up. My stepdad threatened to put a block of wood under the accelerator pedal to keep me slowed down.

It was the coolest!

egg

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
1963 Rambler Classic (I started driving in '73).

No power steering
No power brakes
No air conditioning
AM radio w/one speaker

and a beautiful V-8 that I could actually work on with everyday tools.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh man, let's see...

1977 Toyota Corrolla (faded brown) and ragged out (purchased in 1986). My brother and I affectionately called it "The little brown turd!". :D

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1985 Chevy Chevette ... Purchased brand new in May of 85 ... I think it was $5,737.00 ... I negotiated an AM/FM radio for the purchase price (I'm a lousy negotiator). Drove it until I bought a 1992 Mitsubishi 3000 GT in December of 91. I kept it through the summer of 92 to carry my canoe (You can't put a canoe on a 3000GT). But, gee .... now that I think about it, I can't remember what happened to it.

Loved my little red Chevette.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I bought my 1970 Monte Carlo from my brother for $700 in 1985. It was HUGE and ran on leaded gas - I remember I could fill that puppy's gas tank for under $10 - boy have times changed. It was silver blue with a green interior and was in great condition, except for some underbody rust.

The car was wide enough where a 5'6" person could lie down on the bench seats comfortably. ;)

One day I couldn't start the darn thing and when we found the problem (loose battery connection) we found that the battery platform was rusted almost clean away and there were bolts missing from the engine (you know - the ones holding it IN). Dad insisted I get another car and sell this one back to my brother, which I did.

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
1988 jeep comanche, love that car (factory designation MJ) 2.5L 5 speed.
i have converted to 4.0L auto 4wd got it for free from my dad after the police pulled it off the road for having a not working e-brake. had alot of body rust. but..witht he help of allsorts of other cars, she's basically rust free now!
great thread

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A 1989 Toyota Corolla DX that I drove for 12 years. Great car. Technically it was new but I got it in Oct. 1989 at the very end of the season for a great price (around $9K, if memory serves).

I'm only on my second car now--another Toyota!

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
91 Mustang GT, 5.0. loved that thing... still miss it. got stolen in college :flammad:

Only good thing was it slowed me down... had too heavy of a foot :)

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
my first car was an 89 subaru, just died last year....it was a death trap the last few months i owned it

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1968 GTO got it from the junk yard for 350.00 and had it taken to the school body shop they did all the wodt for virtually for free I just brought the main parts. Which I would have keep that car.

Terry

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
1968 GTO got it from the junk yard for 350.00 and had it taken to the school body shop they did all the wodt for virtually for free I just brought the main parts. Which I would have keep that car.

Terry
'68 GTO was one of the greatest cars of that time......just awesome. I wanted one so bad, but even if I had the money there was no way my dad would have turned me loose in one! I'm jealous, Terry!

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
'66 Chevy Impala -- light blue with black interior -- got it for $600 in '74 -- little 283 in it that would kick butt -- and a dynamic 8-track stereo system with chrome speakers!

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
'79 VW rabbit L, with a kickin 48 HP diesel engine. After I blew my headgasket it had the added feature of the James Bond smokescreen, of course I couldn't really turn it off....

Lamont

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Year: 1975

Make: Chevrolet

Model: Chevelle Malibu

Stats:

350 Small Block - automatic transmission
2 barrel carb
2 door
Cargo Coils/Springs front and back, with Air Shocks in the rear

Nice speakers in the rear, minus the covers (* so no one knew they were good ;) *)

It was that middle 70's metallic rust brown. I replaced the both doors, front fascia, and a front fender, all in the brown and black family. It was not pretty, but it got me mostly through college, and also lots of **** raising ;)

Mileage: 129,000 when bought - 185,000 when the block cracked while I was on vacation and my brother drove it, got it stuck in a farm field, and pulled out by a tractor and the radiator housing, and hten radiator fell out well driving, and lost all coolant before vehicle could be stopped. :(

** Sniff ** I miss that car :wah:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
One day I couldn't start the darn thing and when we found the problem (loose battery connection) we found that the battery platform was rusted almost clean away and there were bolts missing from the engine (you know - the ones holding it IN). Dad insisted I get another car and sell this one back to my brother, which I did.
HAHAHA. I sense brother was trying to unload the car, too? :D

Latest Discussions