Your Favorite MA Quote

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jhoon Goo Rhee used to constantly tell us to "Always use maximum strength, always seek a new maximum." He said it so much I can still hear him saying it today, some 45 years later. But those of us who stuck around and continued to train, took it to heart.

I still do.

OP
Jason Striker II

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ninjitsu is bullsh*t. Kung Fu is bullsh*it. Judo is bullsh*t. Capoeira is bullsh*t. Tae Kwon Do is bullsh*t. Hapkido is actually related to Tae Kwon Do, so it’s bullsh*t. Kickboxing is bullsh*t. Tae Bo is total bullsh*t. Drunken Boxing is bullsh*t.

You might as well take ballet. I could get you a pink uniform, if you want. You could take classes here, and could dance in the corner, while we do Ameri-Do-Te.

(Master Ken)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If one trains martial arts without training deep skill, you will arrive at old age with nothing - From Di Guoyong on Xingyiquan

If I want your opinion I'll beat it out of you. - Chuck Norris - Code of Silence

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"get up and fight your way out, if you where on the street and gave up you would be dead"
my instructor from many years ago

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Heiho wa heiho nari (The ways of war form the ways of peace) - Tenshinsho Den Katori Shinto Ryu teaching.

Amateuristic martial arts are a sure way to serious injury - Shinmen Musashi no Kami Fujiwara no Genshin (Musashi Miyamoto)

Learn by being cut - Itto Ittosai

Let them cut your flesh, and you cut their bones. Let them cut your bones, and you cut their life - Tendo Ryu teaching.

Katsujinken (the sword that gifts life) - Yagyu Munenori

If you meet a Satsuma swordsman, do not concern yourself with Reiho - local saying.

From the moment you bow in for kata practice, you and your training partner are professional warriors whose only goal is to kill one another. You must have that mindset to properly execute or understand the kata - Shuzuku Shitama (Sosuishitsu Ryu)

"Heaven lies under the sword." - Samurai maxim

Hate to do this to you, Himura, but that's kinda missing the maxim itself (for the record, I've seen it attributed to Musashi). The full quote (in the form of a poem) is along the lines of "Underneath the upraised blade gapes Hell... Step in, however, and recieve Heaven as your reward". So Heaven isn't actually under the sword, Hell is. Heaven is gained by moving past Hell. Yeah, picky, but it's important.

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ninjitsu is bullsh*t. Kung Fu is bullsh*it. Judo is bullsh*t. Capoeira is bullsh*t. Tae Kwon Do is bullsh*t. Hapkido is actually related to Tae Kwon Do, so it’s bullsh*t. Kickboxing is bullsh*t. Tae Bo is total bullsh*t. Drunken Boxing is bullsh*t.

You might as well take ballet. I could get you a pink uniform, if you want. You could take classes here, and could dance in the corner, while we do Ameri-Do-Te.

(Master Ken)

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. For any less knowledgable people who might read your post later and misunderstand, I can tell you that the Hapkido I learned was only related to TKD in that they are both Korean arts.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion... I can tell you that the Hapkido I learned was only related to TKD in that they are both Korean arts.

Yeah that, and also that they both came out of the backside of a bull! How dare you dispute the wisdom of Master Ken!? LOL

OK enough of that absurdity. Now back to the OP.

"If you know your enemies and know yourself you will be victorious in one hundred battles." --Sun Tzu

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"get up and fight your way out, if you where on the street and gave up you would be dead"
my instructor from many years ago

My instructor during EVERY test in which someone struggles, so, you know, every test...

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Duty is Heavier then a Mountain, but death is lighter then a Feather! ( old Samurai saying.)

"If I loose? I wont even notice, I will be too busy looking GOOD!!" one of the characters in Enter the Dragon.

OP
Jason Striker II

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I certainly accept your criticism - but if he decides to take dispute with it, you'll have to deal with Master Ken.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"An army of sheep lead by a lion will defeat an army of lions lead by a sheep" Arabic proverb

"This won`t hurt....they`ll tell you all about it when you wake up." Joseph Simmonet at a seminar

"That`s gonna leave a mark." My Isshinryu instructor the first time he watched one of his students get their nose broken.

"Ooooohh....He`ll feel that for a week." Guy standing next to me when I saw a guy knocked unconsious by a kick to the groin.

Latest Discussions