Your Advice Paid Off, Thank You!

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone who gave me advice and tips on board-breaking, sparring and forms. I took your advice to heart when I attended our school's board-breaking clinic as well as when I started sparring and sparring classes.

I entered my first competition this weekend and won first place in board-breaking and second place in sparring. I didn't place in forms as I'd bitten off a bit too much there with a Chil-Sung (Dan) form - it was going well until I flubbed the middle knife blocks. But, thanks to everyone's advice, I had the courage to try and perform a complicated form for my level (8th gup). Also, we had eight competitors and all but one person competed in forms.

As far as the board-breaking, I'm certain that the fact that I did not take practice aims impressed the judges. All I did was place my elbow, heel, or part of hand where I wanted to hit the board - I wanted to get a feel for the correct area of my hand, etc., so I wouldn't hit my funny bone or whatever. I don't suppose that's aiming? Then, I just went for it. Kaboom, kaboom, kaboom! :D Also, I broke two boards with an elbow strike. I would have tried three, but I couldn't even break one at home for some reason, so I thought I'd better do what I had done before (at the clinic). I only used one board for the hammer strike and one for the inside/outside kick. I probably could have used two but I wasn't sure. Maybe next time!

Anyway, I want you to know, your advice was very helpful and thanks again.

Lynne

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone who gave me advice and tips on board-breaking, sparring and forms. I took your advice to heart when I attended our school's board-breaking clinic as well as when I started sparring and sparring classes.

I entered my first competition this weekend and won first place in board-breaking and second place in sparring. I didn't place in forms as I'd bitten off a bit too much there with a Chil-Sung (Dan) form - it was going well until I flubbed the middle knife blocks. But, thanks to everyone's advice, I had the courage to try and perform a complicated form for my level (8th gup). Also, we had eight competitors and all but one person competed in forms.

As far as the board-breaking, I'm certain that the fact that I did not take practice aims impressed the judges. All I did was place my elbow, heel, or part of hand where I wanted to hit the board - I wanted to get a feel for the correct area of my hand, etc., so I wouldn't hit my funny bone or whatever. I don't suppose that's aiming? Then, I just went for it. Kaboom, kaboom, kaboom! :D Also, I broke two boards with an elbow strike. I would have tried three, but I couldn't even break one at home for some reason, so I thought I'd better do what I had done before (at the clinic). I only used one board for the hammer strike and one for the inside/outside kick. I probably could have used two but I wasn't sure. Maybe next time!

Anyway, I want you to know, your advice was very helpful and thanks again.

Lynne

Congrats!!!!:ultracool One very important thing to keep in mind, is to remember to try to not get frustrated, and use the tournaments, breaking competitions, etc. as a learning tool. Even if you didn't break a board or didn't place in forms, there will always be a next time. :)

Keep training hard and congrats again!!:)

Mike

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congrats!!!!:ultracool One very important thing to keep in mind, is to remember to try to not get frustrated, and use the tournaments, breaking competitions, etc. as a learning tool. Even if you didn't break a board or didn't place in forms, there will always be a next time. :)

Keep training hard and congrats again!!:)

Mike
Thank you, Mike. It was definitely a learning tool. I was happy to place in two out of three events, but if I hadn't, I would not have been deterred. I would try harder, which is what I'm going to do with my forms...practice, practice, practice. You sure learn a lot about yourself during these events.

I meant to say we had 8 competitors in my division; overall, we had around 450 competitors total.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
congrats on your preformance

Remember that compitition is only a small part of the learning process and that it is plactic not gold or silver you bring home.
Keep on practicing and I am sure you will bring home the first place in all 3 areas of compition

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
congrats on your preformance

Remember that compitition is only a small part of the learning process and that it is plactic not gold or silver you bring home.
Keep on practicing and I am sure you will bring home the first place in all 3 areas of compition
Thanks for the wise words, tshadowchaser.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lynne remember to also thank your instructors and your fellow students they have been there for every minute of the training that made this all possible.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lynne remember to also thank your instructors and your fellow students they have been there for every minute of the training that made this all possible.
I was thinking about that, Terry. Our school publishes a newsletter every few months and I thought I would submit an article thanking Master Rexer and my instructors. I would talk about what I learned from the tournament and all. Do you think that would be appropriate or should I send a thank you note instead???

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was thinking about that, Terry. Our school publishes a newsletter every few months and I thought I would submit an article thanking Master Rexer and my instructors. I would talk about what I learned from the tournament and all. Do you think that would be appropriate or should I send a thank you note instead???

I believe that is a great ideal and one that every other member can use as a momentim in there training as well.
Once again you are at the top of your class here Lynne.

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Congrats Lynne! Share your experiences with fellow classmates to help them reach their goals.

Latest Discussions