Your 100% is different every day

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I had this reflection today after some training. This week went really good and I shattered some of my previous records. Today though was different. I was doing an exercise that I can usually do at high intensity for a set time. I looked at the clock, still 40 seconds on the clock and my limbs felt like jello. They usually feel like that at the end but I couldn't do my average time that I normally do. It was like I couldn't push myself farther like I normally do. So I realized my 100% yesterday is different than today. It's good to have goals but you will not exceed them every training day. I worked my butt off today and I couldn't get my average horse stance time at the end of workout. But I pushed myself 100% still today. This is a marathon, not a sprint as I try to make this a lifestyle and find ways to train in my everyday life like the monks of old I realize this is the journey and give 100% every time, but your 100% is variable day by day. Just a reflection.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I had this reflection today after some training. This week went really good and I shattered some of my previous records. Today though was different. I was doing an exercise that I can usually do at high intensity for a set time. I looked at the clock, still 40 seconds on the clock and my limbs felt like jello. They usually feel like that at the end but I couldn't do my average time that I normally do. It was like I couldn't push myself farther like I normally do. So I realized my 100% yesterday is different than today. It's good to have goals but you will not exceed them every training day. I worked my butt off today and I couldn't get my average horse stance time at the end of workout. But I pushed myself 100% still today. This is a marathon, not a sprint as I try to make this a lifestyle and find ways to train in my everyday life like the monks of old I realize this is the journey and give 100% every time, but your 100% is variable day by day. Just a reflection.
Make sure that you give yourself enough recovery time. Are you getting proper nutrition?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really like this reflection, very true, and so important to tune into and listen to your body and see where it's at.

It's also something applicable outside of training too.. having a really hard time of late and specifically today I'm struggling.. so it was a good reminder for myself in that regard. Thanks bud

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
100% normal. Ask any professional athlete and they will say you cannot and should not try for 100% performance every day. The body needs rest and recovery. Time for muscle hypertrophy.
It is counter-productive to go balls out all the time.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
At almost 70, the mind is willing, but the body just doesn’t alway cooperate…I listen to what my body is saying more now.

About 3 months ago my Son and fam were out from Scottsdale. He’s 40 years old and plays 4.5-5.0 club tennis. When he comes out we play tennis daily while he’s visiting. One day we played 4 vigorous sets. This was not very smart of me, as I really stress out my right knee. It has taken me 2 months of babying to even get on the court again but it’s still not 100%.

Lesson learned. Note to self, listen to body more and ego less.

Last edited:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we were completely consistent in everything we do, we’d have to suspect that we’re actually a machine!🤖

Dealing with our inconsistencies is the difficult thing…

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Make sure that you give yourself enough recovery time. Are you getting proper nutrition?
Proper nutrition yes. Recovery time probably not enough. I think I'm gonna take a dedicated day off now that you pointed that part out. Thanks man.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Proper nutrition yes. Recovery time probably not enough. I think I'm gonna take a dedicated day off now that you pointed that part out. Thanks man.
No worries. I was in the same situation once. I would recommend alternating your workouts. If you are perhaps training lower body one day (stances, kicks), try focusing on upper body the next (heavy bag, pushups).

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If we were completely consistent in everything we do, we’d have to suspect that we’re actually a machine!🤖

Dealing with our inconsistencies is the difficult thing…
We are not machines but living things. Our bodies have their own cycles. Are you happy all the time? One day, or even hour you may be stronger or faster than the last, or next period. The important thing in working out, IMO, is to not look at your performance at a frozen moment in time, but over the passage of time. What's your average performance on a monthly basis? The trend is more important than a single data point.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No worries. I was in the same situation once. I would recommend alternating your workouts. If you are perhaps training lower body one day (stances, kicks), try focusing on upper body the next (heavy bag, pushups).
That's a good idea thanks. I could dedicate one day to upper body strikes and upper body strength, then the next day kicking and footwork and leg strength. Then do a cardio day, break, weapons day etc. Thanks for that idea man. I've been doing art based days before this burnout. Like one day I'd do kickboxing, the next kung fu, then kickboxing again etc threw in some kali here and there. Lots of strength and conditioning. I was doing alot of horse stance pretty much every day, it's got tons of benefits but I was pushing it to the max everyday after my workouts and even on non training days. Then this happened where I burnt out basically. I think I saw you said you train tkd right?

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea thanks. I could dedicate one day to upper body strikes and upper body strength, then the next day kicking and footwork and leg strength. Then do a cardio day, break, weapons day etc. Thanks for that idea man. I've been doing art based days before this burnout. Like one day I'd do kickboxing, the next kung fu, then kickboxing again etc threw in some kali here and there. Lots of strength and conditioning. I was doing alot of horse stance pretty much every day, it's got tons of benefits but I was pushing it to the max everyday after my workouts and even on non training days. Then this happened where I burnt out basically. I think I saw you said you train tkd right?
No, I train TSD. The alternating cycle really works.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No, I train TSD. The alternating cycle really works.
I did shotokan when I was young, it was my first martial art. Then last year I got into tkd. Never tried tsd but had a friend who was a red belt in soo bahk do or something like that. I like the Japanese footwork and upper body strikes, but I also like the Korean style kicks. Is tsd more like shotokan or tkd?

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did shotokan when I was young, it was my first martial art. Then last year I got into tkd. Never tried tsd but had a friend who was a red belt in soo bahk do or something like that. I like the Japanese footwork and upper body strikes, but I also like the Korean style kicks. Is tsd more like shotokan or tkd?
More like Shotokan, but with more kicks… Similar to traditional TKD.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
More like Shotokan, but with more kicks… Similar to traditional TKD.
That's cool. The whole time I did shotokan we very rarely ever did head kicks. Most of the kicks were low line. Like we did roundhouse and sidekicks but usually to the body or legs. My sensei would do them occasionally but we did alot of punches, open hand strikes and low kicks. Tons of kata, but more kihon(basics) and a tiny bit of kumite. In the tkd school high kicks are encouraged because in our sparring all kicks must be above waist. I'm not naturally flexible so I'm still working on that. One day I want to be able to do the high kicks from arts like tkd and tsd.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's cool. The whole time I did shotokan we very rarely ever did head kicks. Most of the kicks were low line. Like we did roundhouse and sidekicks but usually to the body or legs. My sensei would do them occasionally but we did alot of punches, open hand strikes and low kicks. Tons of kata, but more kihon(basics) and a tiny bit of kumite. In the tkd school high kicks are encouraged because in our sparring all kicks must be above waist. I'm not naturally flexible so I'm still working on that. One day I want to be able to do the high kicks from arts like tkd and tsd.
Beginners start with mid-level kicks, then as they progress to intermediate levels they have to execute the drills to the head. We use a lot of punches and hand strikes as well, combined with joint locks, sweeps, and takedowns. After I received my 3rd Dan, I was encouraged to cross train with other systems. My first was Shotokan, then Hapkido and BJJ.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I broke my rule last night. Our main class meets Sundays at 1:30 and we stay until 5:00. I come home pretty worn out and traditionally take Mondays off to recover. I play tennis on Tuesday, back to MA class on Thursday night and get beaten up by grandchildren on Saturdays. Well, the Tuesday tennis group decided to play last night (Monday) and what a mistake. 30 minutes into it, I simply hit a wall. Ended up quitting after two terrible sets. Today I did nothing. Drinking plenty of H2O, Legs elevated, stereo remote in hand. Anyway, yeah, having a recovery day isn’t a bad idea.

Latest Discussions