You gotta love Marines...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[h=2]Former Marine’s pub name brews trouble[/h]

By Gidget Fuentes - Staff writer
Posted : Saturday May 5, 2012 10:55:27 EDT
MarineCorpsTimes EXCERPT:

When former Cpl. Nick Velez bought a restaurant in the Los Angeles suburb of Downey, he decided to name the new pub “Bastards.”
It’s a nod to the “Magnificent Bastards,” the official nickname of 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines, his former infantry battalion at Camp Pendleton, Calif.
But once a sign went up in the windows touting the new “Bastards,” complaints flew around the city about its vulgarity and inappropriateness.
“It’s not a curse word,” Velez said in response to the controversy. “We are using it because of the ‘Magnificent Bastards.’ It’s what we stand for.”
Velez’s crew furiously worked to finish bar renovations ahead of the planned April 23 soft opening. But the date came and went as he waited for the business license from the city and permit from the fire marshal.
While trying to navigate the bureaucracy, Velez found his new business under fire.
The city recently began a “Character Counts” campaign to spur citizenship and respect. And in a town with 92 churches and 14 service organizations, the name “Bastards” rattled older residents.
End Excerpt
Excuse me, I need to go to Downey...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A restraurant with a name like that doesn't really give you that welcoming feeling does it? :ultracool
BTW what is it, a restaurant or a pub?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I too would be making a fuss about the name, until I understood why the place was called that. At that point, having sat on my behind and never put my life on the line for my country, unlike the men who the name of the pub is directed towards, I'd be pretty motivated to hold my peace.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, next to Hooters, it may be odd...:)

Not to mention:
172468d1263104116-phil96-you-eat-pink-taco-pink-taco.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps naming it 'MB's' would have been more diplomatic with a sign explaining what it meant. However much the guy wants to honour his comrades he still needs to make a living and get his enterprise off the ground.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A good idea, Tez. Go around the problem rather than through it :nods:.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that going through problems is basic marine engagement doctrine...

Well I'm ex RAF so was taught to problem solve...... we, and our US opposite numbers, are the ones who also had the aircraft the Marine types call in to get them out of the 'going through the problem situations' !

Latest Discussions