You can't call back a bullet

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the things thats been taught in most if not all of my shooting classes is that you can't call back a bullet. Once the shot has been fired its been fired and if your shot hits something that you don't want it to hit such as an innocent bystander you can't undo it. That is why you have to know your target and what's beyond and know where your bullets can land. That being said, bullets are one thing but how about words? Can I take back stuff I say on this board and ask people to forget I said it?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
One of the things thats been taught in most if not all of my shooting classes is that you can't call back a bullet. Once the shot has been fired its been fired and if your shot hits something that you don't want it to hit such as an innocent bystander you can't undo it. That is why you have to know your target and what's beyond and know where your bullets can land. That being said, bullets are one thing but how about words? Can I take back stuff I say on this board and ask people to forget I said it?

You can't take them back, but you can certainly show through your posts that your approach to posting has changed. I think one of your issues on posting is that you tend to post your opinion or experience as a fact throughout the martial arts communities. "As martial artists we are supposed to be kind, courteous, and nice" is an opinion, it doesn't hold true for all martial arts though it may hold true for yours. A better way to say that might be "I was taught in my martial arts studies to be kind, courteous, and nice," which is something nobody could disagree with.

Also, acknowledging the difference in opinion on a topic is fine, there were a couple of threads that you would just not let die, and that was a bit aggravating. I think you are a well intentioned poster that has a different approach than many on this board, and quite frankly, there are many odd personalities in martial arts, the forums are usually pretty good about tolerating that.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you are a well intentioned poster that has a different approach than many on this board, and quite frankly, there are many odd personalities in martial arts, the forums are usually pretty good about tolerating that.

You're on the money, Blindside. Odd personalities in martial arts....gee, ya think? As a karate guy, wow, I think there's more odd folks in Karate than in any other discipline. Lots of great folks, for sure, but karate seems to be a magnet for odd. Except, me of course, I'm perfectly normal. :eek:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just because you use the word bullet doesnt make this a firearms related topic

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And you CAN call back a bullet. It just won't come. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

You can retract statements, but humans don't forget on command. How the retraction is received, and how much it influences people, will depend on many things. Including how the retraction is worded, the reasons given for the retraction, and how future posts tie in with the retracted words and/or the newly adopted position.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ADMIN NOTE:

Thread moved to The Bar & Grill as it is a better fit for the topic.

jks9199
Asst. Admin

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're on the money, Blindside. Odd personalities in martial arts....gee, ya think? As a karate guy, wow, I think there's more odd folks in Karate than in any other discipline. Lots of great folks, for sure, but karate seems to be a magnet for odd. Except, me of course, I'm perfectly normal. :eek:

That's funny. In my wing chun school, we seem to be a magnet for nerds/geeks/whatever term you prefer. Me, I like nerd for myself. :)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
That's funny. In my wing chun school, we seem to be a magnet for nerds/geeks/whatever term you prefer. Me, I like nerd for myself. :)

I don't doubt that an instructor will attract a certain crowd, but I swear the kali groups tend toward libertarian leaning, sci-fi reading, CCW packing, survivalist geeks.

Please ignore my stack of Baen books titles pile on top of the gunsafe.....

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Actually one of the compliments (I guess) I have gotten was "you are the most normal martial arts instructor I have ever had."

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

All martial arts are a magnet for nerdgeeks. Cool kids play ball sports.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually one of the compliments (I guess) I have gotten was "you are the most normal martial arts instructor I have ever had."

I think only those who have trained in the Arts can really appreciate how cool that is. :) Pretty awesome.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score

To paraphrase an old saying: Everyone on this board is crazy except for you and me. And you've been posting some strange stuff lately.

:boing1:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Getting back to the original question...

You can't just retract things you've said and expect people to forget you've ever said them. However...

If you have been arguing a stupid/uninformed/immature position and then you say "I've been thinking about what you've said and you've convinced me that I was wrong and you were right," you will earn a certain amount of respect from many folks. If you continue to demonstrate that you really have learned the lesson in question, you will earn more respect.

If you have said hurtful things and you say "I shouldn't have said that. I apologize," you will make some progress towards soothing the feelings of those you may have offended. If you continue to demonstrate that you sincerely are sorry and you refrain from saying further hurtful things, then you have a good chance of winning forgiveness from most folks.

Some people hold on to first impressions and grudges longer than others. For those people you will have to demonstrate a longer period of good behavior before they let go of the opinions they have formed of you.

That's just general theory. In terms of your behavior on this board, I don't think you've been particularly offensive or exceptionally stupid. You have been somewhat ... fixated on a few odd ideas, but if you let go of those and move on I expect most of the other posters here will as well.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can't take them back, but you can certainly show through your posts that your approach to posting has changed. I think one of your issues on posting is that you tend to post your opinion or experience as a fact throughout the martial arts communities. "As martial artists we are supposed to be kind, courteous, and nice" is an opinion, it doesn't hold true for all martial arts though it may hold true for yours. A better way to say that might be "I was taught in my martial arts studies to be kind, courteous, and nice," which is something nobody could disagree with.

Also, acknowledging the difference in opinion on a topic is fine, there were a couple of threads that you would just not let die, and that was a bit aggravating. I think you are a well intentioned poster that has a different approach than many on this board, and quite frankly, there are many odd personalities in martial arts, the forums are usually pretty good about tolerating that.

Well Im not the only one who states my opinion as fact there are other people who have done it as well. Also, people have said that I dodge certain questions, well people here also dodge certain questions of mine so Im just pointing that out.

If I don't let a thread die its usually because I haven't made my point which is sometimes because the thread goes off in another tangent or because some of my questions haven't been answered, as I said, people dodge some of my questions too.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well Im not the only one who states my opinion as fact there are other people who have done it as well. Also, people have said that I dodge certain questions, well people here also dodge certain questions of mine so Im just pointing that out.

If I don't let a thread die its usually because I haven't made my point which is sometimes because the thread goes off in another tangent or because some of my questions haven't been answered, as I said, people dodge some of my questions too.
That may be true and in keeping with your original post, while hard to recall, you can dodge bullets (if you have studied the correct MA).

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey Photon Guy, I do the odd because I am just different. I don't make my point either, some people may laugh but I do not care. I go off in tangents because that is also me. However, I don't dodge questions and don't assume to know what I am talking about with MA. Just my take.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No offence intended.

Latest Discussions