yilong178, Introduction and Hello to members

yilong178

White Belt
Reaction score
Greetings and best wishes to all,

I hope I learn a lot, and give a lot on this forum, that is useful.

Currently, my wife and I live in Liaoning Province, NE China, We have been in this area both visiting recently and we also taught at a local university for a year (there are about 40 universities of various types, in this large city)
I am from Sonoma County, CA, via Baltimore, MD.

I/we have lived and taught at Chinese Univeristies for a total of three years, including Fujian, Jiangsu, and Liaoning Provinces.

I have studies various martial arts for over 40 years, some for a few months and three for 10 to 12 years. Currently, I am the indoor student of a teacher (Shirfu) of a rare, and very traditional form of Yang Tai Ji Quan, Xiaojia (small frame).

This form of TJQ is very complex, difficult to learn, and the moves in this set are in the 8 dirctions of a compass, not the ususal pattern seen in most Yang TJQ these days. This, means in part that there is a lot of pivoting at various angles, and 98% of this pivoting is done on the balls of the feet, not the heals.

The stepping in this set is kept a shoulder width, and is "something" like Sanchin stepping in Goju or Seibukan Karate. Most stepping involves the front foot turned in, for leg trapping purposes, and most stepping is in a outside to in, or inside to out, curving, like Goju mentioned above. Grasping a Sparrows Tail, White Crane Spreads Its Wings, Cloud Hands, Brush Knee Twist Step, etc. bare only a vague resemblance to most modern Yang TJQ form sets, and are often very complex. The kicks in this set are kept below the waist, and are complex and difficult. Last but not least, this set has Chan Shir Jin and whole body, connected spiroling throughout the set. It takes about 40 minutes to finish from opening to closing.

Thanks for "listening". Looking forward to getting to know you and learning from you and your posts and expereinces.

AKA, James