Yahoo: White tires of hearing pay-per-view complaints

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
02-12-2010 12:15 PM:

Injuries tore apart the UFC's star-studded roster over the last eight weeks. It left the promotion with pay-per-view shows built more on depth over star power. After UFC 109, when asked about the fans complaining about PPV prices and value, White flipped his lid:

"UFC fans are spoiled," White explained that every UFC PPV can't be a megacard. "There's gonna be the people that always ***** and I say what I always say, 'don't buy it!.' If you don't like the [expletive] card don't buy it. I don't give a [expletive]!"

White reached a boiling point after hearing and reading the complaints before the Mark Coleman-Randy Couture card.

"People who are real fight fans and want to sit home on a Saturday and watch fights, will watch it. Nobody's [expletive] making you buy fights and watch the pay-per-view. Watch "American Idol," I could care less."

Probably not the best choice of words by White but he does have a point when comparing MMA PPV's to what boxing offers. Boxing still builds its cards around one fight. If that main event is a flop, the consumer is hosed. At least you get five-to-seven fights on an MMA card for your $45-$60. Is that enough value? Over the long haul, the market will determine if UFC is presenting too many PPVs.

With a little reflection, White would probably say he does give a [expletive]. He's just a little cranky right now. To think, this PPV discussion was before he found about Vitor Belfort being out of UFC 112!

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no Dana, only Zuul.

That's funny.

Dana get's on my nerve's sometimes but in this instance I think he is right. IF you don't like the card don't buy it. If you buy a few and you don't think you are getting your moneys worth, make it clear with your wallet, or go to a sports bar and buy a buger and a beer. I know that capitalism is being assulted in America, but geeze.

I think people are getting spoiled, or maybe desensitized. They can't see how impressive or intense a fight is unless there is massive blood, or a big. I like those things too, but the lack of them doesn't diminish the overal quality of a card or a fight.

Besides, dose any one person buy a PPV by themselves? We allways plan a week in advance and get enough friends and family so that it is only like 5 bucks. Either that or a sports bar.

That way even if the card is a little weak, its still a good time and not costly.

Frankly, I think it is really something they can put on as many cards with as many fights as they do.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the idea of not buying a card you are not interested in. A long time ago I stopped buying boxing pay per view events based on some real loser cards. This carried over to MMA in which I will not buy a fight card but instead watch it at a local pub or just wait for the video footage on some ones site. To the patient go the spoils!

I will say this though Dana should be concerned because while things are flying high right now it only takes a few mistakes for you to lose your market!
Though I hope the UFC continues to grow as it is a great show!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People have choices and nobody is holding a gun to there head, so why complain about something that you had control over.

Latest Discussions