Xma

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
...The show blew ***....the only thing I enjoyed was the Oriental chick and the rope dart...that was badass...and seeing Matt drop to the ground from the jumping side kick was hilarious...hrm...Tess...where've I seen that happen before... ::whistles off key...:: seeing him break the sensor on the bag was pretty good...and the sword form at the end was awesome...but...the roaring and the screaming....I dunno...are they constipated...? are they angry...?...cause anger can constipate retalitory efforts....eh...I just know I want the oppurtunity to do a back flip while front kicking two guys on each side of me....;)

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
...yeah...shoulda asked him after he was done his techniques how his ribs were doing....:roflmao: :roflmao: :EG:

OP
K

KenpoMatt

I have to agree, the show was totally weak. I expected it to be a study of martial art systems. Instead, it was a behind the scenes look at Matt getting back into martial competition. He is tremendously dedicated, talented & athletic. But, I wasn't interested in watching that.

As many of you have already said, XMA pushed the notion that the sport/tournament side of the MA's is what we're all about. XMA just propegated the pop-culture perception all martial artists want to back flip 5 feet into the air, spin 720 degrees and kick you in the head, while yelling keeyaaaaah!

Oh, and what about Tom Cruise? Maybe it's just me. But, I thought he came off like a self-righteous wanker. He probably did a fantastic job making a movie about samurai. But, do we really have to pretend that after those couple of months of martial-acting lessons he's actually an uber-enlightened, zen filled, honest to gosh samurai? Get over your self dude.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
hey..I'd like to be able to get my white *** off the ground...spin 720 degrees in mid air, and kick someone in the head....minus the whole "keeyaaaaah!" thing....he should really invest in some Primateen for that...or get some throat drops..

OP
T

TheRustyOne

it was turned on briefly tonight, and my roommates and their friends were able to make fun of it. oh such a satisfying night.

OP
J

J-kid

This was by far the worst martial arts show ever, Now everyone (or should i say almost) everyone knows i am a MMAist but even you TMA people should be afended. They did alot of flashy work, one of the main guys gets kicked in the ribs by a flying kick falls down and almost crys. Then to top it of they end up showing a demo with Judo and Jujitsu, with the weakest takedowns and arm/leg submissions i have ever seen. (EXAMPLE) The head guy figure fours his legs while hardly holding on to the end of the other guys arm,(it was so bad) then the guy rolls out and they attemp to show a few more takedowns.

Further more they tried to make it look like science proves that these guys are the deadlest mother bleeps alive, By putting all sorts of tests with major flaws in them. They where messing force of a kick by having them kick a small pad that had a machine that reads out pounds of force but it was against something that would not budge.

Another major problem in the beggian the guys like " i have never been in a fight, but i wonder if i were to kick some one" and later the same guy is like I dont like getting hit in the face. Then he shows the world and dos a kata and explains that it is for when 2 people are choking you and 2 people are grabing your arms with someone attacking you at the same time. Then they did a bunch of weapons stuff that looked very flashy. They made point sparring look so hard core and only showed a very sport (even more sport orentated then most tkd places) karate.

Now they never talked about alot of other martial arts or the MMA/UFC. What they did do is promote The last samuri so much that i think i know the movie front to back.

The worst part is the whole time these guys were being pertrayed as the bades mofo around. Really assamed about the descovery channel right now.

I mean who knows what else they messed up on. Maybe what really desturbs me the most is i know alot about this topic show i can sense this ******** from a mile away. But other subjects i have to take there word for. So i can i trust them after this, is the real question.:shrug:

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempojujutsu
Would love to see one of those idiots from XMA get in a cage match. They would be screaming bitches.:rofl:

Exactly. The guy could do all these interesting kata, but they just glossed over the whole sparring thing: probably because he sucked (did you see that match? It was hilarious. Even I spar better than that!). Half of those kata looked like they were made up too: I've never seen anything like it, namely, that katana one -there is NO katana kata in karate!! (correct me if I'm wrong). The katana demonstration, however, looked good. It was crisp, even though the guy didn't use his wrists to power the sword (forgiveable). However, the sword sparring thing (katana vs. jin) was just funny. The woman used her weapon like a pro, but the other guy was lumbering around making the katana look like it weighed a whole 5 pounds in stances that simply don't exist.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Well, glad I didn't see it...enough of my RAM is taken up with nonesnse as it is...

On the other hand, good to see that "Sport Karate," is seeable for what it is...

Essay assignment:

Compare and contrast Tom Cruse and David Carradine. Is scientology worse or better than cocaine and shaolin fakery? Discuss.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
...I'd have to go with the cocaine on that one. ...and I personally can't imagine Tom Cruise wielding sword and having facial hair...he finally hit puberty...his parents must be proud.

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chronuss
...I'd have to go with the cocaine on that one. ...and I personally can't imagine Tom Cruise wielding sword and having facial hair...he finally hit puberty...his parents must be proud.

True. From what I understand, cocaine is much cheaper and easier to shake off than scientology.

OP
J

jwreck

I thought the best part was when he visits the monk to learn balance. That old guy was awesome! I'm gonna build me one of them post gardens now. Other than that, the show sucked, Matt was a *****, and his little power rangers wannabe clone needs serious guidance.

Jmh7331

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There were a few good parts, if you can wade through the crap. I thought that woman was incredible, she looked good with every weapon. They made a mistake showing the sparring. They lead up to it showing this guy do all these fancy moves and katas and then when he gets in the ring he looks like ****! You're thinking, "What good is all the fancy stuff if it's not applicable?" Unless you're trying to get a movie role. :)

OP
T

TonyM.

Oh no! Whom of the aforementioned are scientologist? Should Betty Ford have a wing for them?

Latest Discussions