Xma

T

TheRustyOne

Zinging up the Martial Arts with nifty graphics and stuff, Discovery chanel is doing something interesting!

I'm not going back to college till monday morning, so I'll be watching it (Sunday, 9 pm est). I think it'll be pretty cool.

So, what do the rest of you think of it?

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I enjoyed it! :) I was far too interested in watching it to play my Gameboy or get some crocheting done.

The Last Samurai movie looks like it'll be good.

Robyn :asian: :samurai:

OP
T

TheRustyOne

I agree. The graphics were awesome, and Mullins aint too bad lookin either :rofl:

twas great how they showed a lot of the weapons in action, then with that cool slow motion and skeleton view. *grin*

OP
M

Mon Mon

The only thing that i did not like about it is they only showed the competition side of martial arts there is a whole nother world of combat arts with no tournaments

OP
T

TheRustyOne

Also, how they wove the trailers and the program in.

OP
M

MartialArtsChic

I enjoyed it on a whole. I would have liked to see more of what happens to the body when hit like in the beginning with the skeletons. Neat to see how the body sometimes gets twisted in the movements you do that you don't realize. The lady, Ming, rocked - loved watching her in action.

The competition thing was interesting to see since it really focused more on the emotional journey to get ready and go back into it. I've never done or seen competition so it was interesting for me.

One of the downfalls was the camera angles. A lot of them weren't very good and you missed a lot. I'd rather see the guy's tummy from far away and not close up, I want to see what he's doing with those weapons/hands more.

and last but not least, the Bo Staff guy at the end...........whoa, major hottie! :) Yes, I'm a serious martial artist, but some things just can't escape my notice....:D

Lorrie

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well I was disappointed.. I expected alot more variety and more science. We turned it off . I was not interested in seeing Matt getting prepped for his Return to fame..I would of liked to have seen 'The Last Samurai' portion but didn't feel like wasting time waiting for it..

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It made tournament martial artists look like superhumans. I thought most of it was unrealistic.

It would have been nice to see other things outside of the tournament realm covered.

:shrug:

kyushoT

White Belt
Reaction score
I did enjoy the "Motion Capture" animation that they did on the weapons. Tracing their range of motion through the air.

As for the rest of the show. I was not very impressed.

I will however give Tournament Martial Artists Credit. They have some great skill and dedication to what they do. It is just not an aspect of the Martial Arts that interests me personaly.

Though, it did make me want to go see "The Last Samuri."
Which I expect was the shows intent in the first place.

:samurai:

Tim P.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Paul. I did not see the show last night, but I saw the clips on the website a few weeks ago. It was extremely bad. It talked about biomechanics, yet the CGI work showed blows and reactions from blows that biomechanically weren't possible. It completely went against the reality of force vectors and the effects of the body.

Unfortunately, this is what I can see as being expected in these types of programs. The Martial Arts channel should be something to behold :rolleyes:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So like was it about Martial Arts, or about Matt and his style? I thought the latter.

Nothing to take away from his or the other Martial Artist's talent and training, they were great at what they did, and a good arguement for cross training, but does it look like everybody was auditioning for TV or Movies?

-Michael

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The parts I liked.......I thought seeing the movements done in skeleton form were really interesting. I think my favorite part was seeing that guy balancing on all the various levels of posts (I don't know what they are called)- but I wish I had a set in my backyard to practice on!!

It was neat to see the different weapons too- especially when they attached light to it to make you see the movements- like the lady was drawing with the staff in the air.

The show definitely showed what the acrobatic side of martial arts is like- I don't know how some of those people pulled off the flips and twirls that they did and still landed on their feet and kept going. I have only done traditional forms in my time so it was interesting to see what people have done with them to jazz them up for tournament settings.

:asian: :karate:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mon Mon
The only thing that i did not like about it is they only showed the competition side of martial arts there is a whole nother world of combat arts with no tournaments

EXACTLY.

I felt the entire thing showed too much sport... and they EMPHASIZED that was what it was all about.

Oh well. It was a TV special. What are you gonna do.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mike Chat is with Century's/Black Belt Mag's MAIA. I just received my latest issue of MAIA mag. They have different program you can purchase and learn to teach in your school. They have XMA by Mike Chat listed. His program list for $4200.00 for members and $4800.00 for non members. If that show is have the crap he is teaching I will just go buy a 10th degree in some kind of art and start selling Black Belts in it. :D

OP
M

Mon Mon

· What is XMA?
XMA was conceived by seven-time National and seven-time World Forms & Weapons Champion, Mike “Chat” Chaturantabut, one of the most successful and experienced tournament competitors in the history of the sport. As one of the pioneers of Sport Karate, Chat has combined the styles and philosophies of several athletic and artistic disciplines into the only step-by-step training system that is backed by medical science and includes all of today’s cutting-edge martial arts choreography as seen on the national and international tournament scene as well as featured in Hollywood’s top grossing motion pictures and popular television shows. Chat created the first and most successful Sport Karate performance training camp in the world. He has coached six World and twelve National Forms and Weapons Champions, founded two of the most successful competition teams on the circuit, conducted over 100 martial arts seminars and workshops around the world, and has trained and choreographed for Hollywood’s top stunt coordinators, action directors, and stunt men.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe if your being attacked and you put on a really good show the attacker will be so impressed he will let you live.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by someguy
Maybe if your being attacked and you put on a really good show the attacker will be so impressed he will let you live.

That's just priceless....:rofl: