Wushu divisions in sport karate tournaments

OP
M

miguksaram

BTW...thanks for all the input from everyone. This is very helpful for us to reach our goal. We are trying to provide a well rounded and fun event for people to participate or watch.

With respect,

Jeremy

OP
W

whalen

Jeremy

I love it I have the calligraphy of this on my Wall ,It is also the MoTTo of the phoenix judo club where I train.

Missed you in chicago I will be back Dec.4 they are working on it now.

Hal

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
whalen said:

Jeremy

I love it I have the calligraphy of this on my Wall ,It is also the MoTTo of the phoenix judo club where I train.

Missed you in chicago I will be back Dec.4 they are working on it now.

Hal
?? Wha?

OP
M

miguksaram

He is talking about my saying "Chil chun pal gi" It is a Korean saying. It means to fall seven times and rise eight times. (From what I was told by my wife and her brother) It was made popular after a Korean boxer kept got knocked down several times in a boxing match. He rose one last time and defeated his opponent, then died after the match. So it is not how many times you fall, how many times you rise back up that counts.

Master Whalen,

I apologize for not making the seminar. I just had surgery on my knee not to long before the seminar and could not do much at all. Not to mention that my work had me on a 24 hour call which sucked. The weekend you will be coming back, I will be out of town for competition. However, keep me posted so that I may relay the information on to others.

With respect,

Jeremy

OP
V

Vanilla Heath-Bar Crunch

Here is where I stand:

In Michigan I guess Mr. Zack Burns is promoting his Battle at the 45th Parallel. All fine and good. I asked him specifically the same question posed here in thread.

He told me that his tournament does not differentiate between traditional kung fu and wushu, rather (like most sport martial arts associations) the divisions are made in "hard" and "soft" styles... which I hate.

Anyone who has ever been hit by a skilled Kung fu practitioner (Taiji Tanglang being my style)knows that there is nothing "soft" about kungfu.

In truth, I will attend this competiton and see how I fair. THe idea is to have as was mentioned earlier, judges who are competent in their respective styles to judge accordingly.

We dont have much Kungfu in the local tourney scene here in Western Michigan. Whenever I have performed Kungfu I have done very well. When I have performed Tang Soo Do I have not faired as well.

Latest Discussions