Wushu divisions in sport karate tournaments

M

miguksaram

For those who participate in wushu tournaments, would you like to see wushu divsions added to sport karate tournaments? If so would you be more willing to support tournaments which held wushu divsions?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No I would not support atournament with WuShu divisions, I prefer to watch gymnastics in the privacy of my own home!
Todd (would'nt you know)

OP
M

miguksaram

The Kai said:
No I would not support atournament with WuShu divisions, I prefer to watch gymnastics in the privacy of my own home!
Todd (would'nt you know)

Which is fine shihan, but you are not a wushu person to begin with. :whip: Plus there would be other divsions for you to participate in such as the XMA divisons. :supcool: ha.ha.ha.ha....

Actually most sport karate tournaments have a traditional divsion too.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First off it's Todd

second I got my new XMA Uniform and boy does my 40 year old body look great slammed into this thing!!! I gonna armer all all the vinyl parts this weekend!!

BTW a sport karate tourny, sport karate, narrow definition probably. Keep the music, dance and home schooled gymnastics divisions have thier own events.
Todd

OP
M

miguksaram

The Kai said:
First off it's Todd

second I got my new XMA Uniform and boy does my 40 year old body look great slammed into this thing!!! I gonna armer all all the vinyl parts this weekend!!

BTW a sport karate tourny, sport karate, narrow definition probably. Keep the music, dance and home schooled gymnastics divisions have thier own events.
Todd

Shihan, you know I always have problems addressing people by first name even though we know each other well. I will try my best to make note of it though.

Secondly, can't wait to see you in your new XMA uniform did you get the straight black or the one with the shiny shoulders ha.ha.ha.ha.ha..

Lastly, for sport karate (yes very narrow definition), there are seperate divisions for traditional, creative and extreme. So your 40 year old butt wouldn't be going against an 18 year old young whipper snapper. haha.ha..

For everyone, please note that this question was geared toward the wushu competitors. There are divisions for "traditional" kung fu stylists. It is usually found called Soft Style division.

With respect,

Jeremy

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Of course the Shiny Shoulders one, with the clip together nylon belt. I can hardly wait to throw my weapons really high in the air!! Should I wear a shiny head band to set it all off??

Question, why would not a 18 year old do traditional forms?

Jeremy if I am highjacking your tread let me know.
Todd

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This thread is getting a little off topic.

What are you asking exactly? Are you asking those who practice wushu if they would support a karate tournement that included a division for wushu? My first reaction would be why would a karate tournement have a wushu division? Who would be judging that division? I doubt there would be many wushu practitioners who would support a tourney where they got judged by a karate judge.

7sm

OP
M

miguksaram

The Kai said:
Of course the Shiny Shoulders one, with the clip together nylon belt. I can hardly wait to throw my weapons really high in the air!! Should I wear a shiny head band to set it all off??

Question, why would not a 18 year old do traditional forms?

Jeremy if I am highjacking your tread let me know.
Todd

Actually all of our students compete in traditional forms and only a handful compete in the extremes divsion. And of course your hijacking...yet it's all good. BTW...the shiny headband would distract from the all flashy kicks. ;)

OP
M

miguksaram

7starmantis said:
This thread is getting a little off topic.

What are you asking exactly? Are you asking those who practice wushu if they would support a karate tournement that included a division for wushu? My first reaction would be why would a karate tournement have a wushu division? Who would be judging that division? I doubt there would be many wushu practitioners who would support a tourney where they got judged by a karate judge.

7sm

Well to use the term sport karate is very narrow when in fact most circuits out there NASKA, WSKF, NBL would be considered more sport martial arts since they have a mixture of styles in them. When doing the wushu divisions, it is the goal to have wushu judges to help run it. Now you will see some wushu people participate in these events, however, I think there would be a greater participation rate if they had their own divsion ran by people who knew what to look for. Currently they are lumped under soft style divsion or extreme division.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't seen many karate or any japanese art for that matter include wushu in their tournements. It doesn't happen much around here. We got invited to a karate tournement to compete in their fighting division, but with such different ideologies and rules for fighting it didn't go very well. Most CMAist I know just stick to the CMA tourneys. If you were going to include a wushu division in your karate tourney, it would be advisable to have a well known wushu practitioner head up that division and get some wushu judges.

7sm

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think most promoters are smart enough to have judges that know what they are looking for IF they include a wusu division.

It would be interesting to see some wusu people compet in an open tournament against other stylests if at least one or two judges where from wusu

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One would think so, but its not always so. One of the reasons I dont compete much anymore is that very reason. There is no clearly defined method of judging anyway, so someone who doesn't understand the principles behind what is going on is not right to judge. Plus, there are many "MAist" out there who have too big of an ego to admit they shouldn't be judging a certain venue. "If they punch and kick, I can judge 'em" is way too often used to determine good judges.

I would love to see some wushu people compete even against my style, but the ideas behind sparring differ so much from one to the other, its almost impossible. Now in forms, we do have several wushu people who compete at some of our tourneys, and do very well.

7sm

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's my own fault for not saving it, but I've recently seen a piece of the official sanctioned wushu juding manual. It determines scores based on invididual motions & what lead up to the motion. It was complete with drawings, additions of weapons, descriptions, geometric measurements, etc...

It'd take somebody with some formal training in wushu & more formal training as a judge for wushu to properly judge an event. I don't see "sport karate" investing in that...

OP
N

nlmantis

tshadowchaser said:
I think most promoters are smart enough to have judges that know what they are looking for IF they include a wusu division.

It would be interesting to see some wusu people compet in an open tournament against other stylests if at least one or two judges where from wusu
Last year our Tai Mantis club visited a tournament with a "Traditional Northern Chinese" division, various empty-hand and weapons forms sections. In the first section one of our students ripped his form but got the lowest grades. Very smooth execution of a technically intermediate-difficult form (Su Lim Tong Long). Our Sifu told another student to execute the form more rigid and stopping at random points while shouting out loud. He did an easier form in the senior section and got first price. Any TCM judge would have rated him lowest...

After that we stopped coming to these Karate tournaments, unless if they have a contact-sparring section with 2-3 minutes uninterrupted fighting.

For Wushu it would probably be easier to get knowledgeable juries since it's far more popular however don't count on a Karate-jury knowing anything about non-Karate styles...

OP
M

miguksaram

7starmantis said:
I haven't seen many karate or any japanese art for that matter include wushu in their tournements. It doesn't happen much around here. We got invited to a karate tournement to compete in their fighting division, but with such different ideologies and rules for fighting it didn't go very well. Most CMAist I know just stick to the CMA tourneys. If you were going to include a wushu division in your karate tourney, it would be advisable to have a well known wushu practitioner head up that division and get some wushu judges.

7sm

I totally agree. We are even taking it one step further and trying to get sanctioned by an organization so that we would have guidlines to follow so we wouldn't have a free for all in those divisions. We have already did a "prototype" of this at the AKA Grands/WSKF Worlds last weekend. The turn out was not overwhelming due to the fact we added these divsions a bit late in the game. However, with the turnout that we did have, it ran very smoothly. The participants were happy and even sent thank you cards to our instructor who ran the tournament. So I am trying to get an idea on how we can make this more successful next year and provide people with a really nice well rounded tournament to come and see or participate in.

OP
M

miguksaram

clfsean said:
It's my own fault for not saving it, but I've recently seen a piece of the official sanctioned wushu juding manual. It determines scores based on invididual motions & what lead up to the motion. It was complete with drawings, additions of weapons, descriptions, geometric measurements, etc...

It'd take somebody with some formal training in wushu & more formal training as a judge for wushu to properly judge an event. I don't see "sport karate" investing in that...

I don't think they would have to invest in it as much as find the volunteers for it. All the people who judge at the sport karate tournaments are volunteers, well they may receive a free t-shirt or a lunch but other than that not much more.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
nlmantis said:
Last year our Tai Mantis club visited a tournament with a "Traditional Northern Chinese" division, various empty-hand and weapons forms sections. In the first section one of our students ripped his form but got the lowest grades. Very smooth execution of a technically intermediate-difficult form (Su Lim Tong Long). Our Sifu told another student to execute the form more rigid and stopping at random points while shouting out loud. He did an easier form in the senior section and got first price. Any TCM judge would have rated him lowest...
Big suprise there

nlmantis said:
After that we stopped coming to these Karate tournaments, unless if they have a contact-sparring section with 2-3 minutes uninterrupted fighting.
My sifu tried that once when he was competing actively. He got DQ'd for sweeping a guy, no points on strikes that would've hit had it not pulled them, but because they weren't reverse punches like was favored by the judge (karate) he got nothing on them, etc....

nlmantis said:
For Wushu it would probably be easier to get knowledgeable juries since it's far more popular however don't count on a Karate-jury knowing anything about non-Karate styles...
Maybe for wushu, but look at the links I posted... I don't think it'll be that easy. TCMA has to stay within TCMA to compete fairly. Non CMA won't judge it accurately since they are looking for the "wrong" things when it comes to CMA. Modern Wushu would be a closer cousin to share judging with at a CMA event, but I don't think the two worlds will mix well.