WTF/KUKKIWON TKD'ists

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
I looked at the yudo site ! It has a # of mix up's and miss- information ! Also the k.t.a. is the n.g.b. for sport T.K.D. in korea.Just like the u.s.t.u. in the U.S. They are branches of kukkiwon!! Wonder were they get there info?? Oh well . Do you still have to have a kukki certificate to compete in w.t.f. sanctioned event's ?? It seem's you still do . If that is the case nothing has really changed ! Just my opinion ! MITHIOS

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No NGB is a branch of Kukkiwon. They are duly authorized affiliates of Kukkiwon. There is a major legal distinction there.

The change does not apply to foreign Kukkiwon events. It applies to domestic events and the Olympics. An event for example in say South Africa, would not be subject to the provisions of US Federal Law.

I suspect that in the long run group such as USTW, USNTA and others will gain more power and prestige. In the last 20 years, I have seen alot of changes. These changes now are interesting. I sincerely believe in TKD reform, but the only way it will happen is by banding together. The problem then becomes the power vaccuum left. Someone, or something, must replace it, and experience has shown us that the cure is sometimes worse than the disease.

OP
D

Disco

To participate in sanctioned events either USTU or AAU, you don't need a Kukkiwon Certification. But you must however, be a member of the organization that is hosting the event. So they got you coming and going. In the U.S. you don't need Kukkiwon certification anymore to compete.

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank's Mr. Clay, I meant afilliate but i typed branch for some reason !! Disco, info apreciated ! What i was getting at with w.t.f. sanctioned event's world wide is that a person has to have a kukkiwon cert. to compete, but the w.t.f. and kukkiwon are supose to be seperate ! I guess i am thinking to far ahead ! i tend to do that ! Thing's in the U.S. are not even settled yet. Thank's MIHIOS

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

How does this shift in power affect the Olympic committee, and those participating in Olympic events?

OP
M

MountainSage

I wouldn't think it would change the Olympic committee at all. This change would only effect US competitiors trying out for the US team. The change should increase the number of people that can qualify to compete in the selection tournaments. Another change is that the big stick Korea has had is shortened a little bit.

Mountain Sage

OP
D

Disco

The USOC membership & credentials committee has stated that at the USOC's meeting in mid Oct., that they will recommend that the USTU's charter be revoked. Information was obtained from the AAU web site.

OP
M

MountainSage

So, it a good or bad thing to have the charter revoked?

Mountainsage

OP
D

Disco

From everybody I've talked with and read responses on forums, the majority feels the USTU totally has outlived their usefullness. In addition, all the wrongdoings that has been alledged to have taken place over the years does/has not sat well with all concerned.

OP
A

allan

KTA and USTU are members or NGB's of WTF. You cannot be affiliated with the Kukkiwon. Kukkiwon is about the technical aspekt of Taekwondo.

You don't need to be a member og USTU or any other NGB of WTF to get a Kukkiwon dan certifikat. You just need someone who Kukkiwon recognizes as someone who is allowed to promote you according to Kukkiwons rules & regulations.

If you want to know what Kukkiwon and WTF is about then read the following links:

http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/eng/promotion/simsa_eng1.asp?div=5

http://www.wtf.org/r&r/R_r/rules1.htm

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The USTU may not be the NGB much longer. I believe that designation goe up to vote by the USOC on the 25th of this month. No one can affiliate with Kukkiwon. Kukkiwon is an academy, basically. No non-country may affiliate with the WTF unless there is a situation in which there is not an NGB, which maintains an active membership of X number of KKW certified yudanja. The X is relative to the overall population size.

Latest Discussions