Anyone Hear Of This Guy?

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Burns anyone hear of him or know anything about him just wondering cause he teaches martial arts at the INDIANA UNIVERSITY MARTIAL ARTS program so i was thinking about go to I.U

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've known Don since 1976. He was club adviser to the TKD club at I.U. when I studied there.

He and I studied under the same GM, Lee Ki Doc. Don got his black belt in TKD around the mid or early seventies. He was a Judo black belt before that. He got his HKD black belt around 1977 or so...I can't recall. I may be wrong on that one...but it was around that time. I was at one or two of his HKD tests...he tested along with my immediate TKD instructor, Dave Gibson.

I.U. has a pretty good HPER (read "Phys Ed") program. Some people have studied with Don, gotten degrees in recreation, and then gone on to open their own schools.

I'm not sure how much Don teaches anymore. I.U. has a vast martial arts program, though. It used to be the biggest in the U.S. Might still be. Much of that was Don's doing.

I'm indebted to him for recently putting a plug in for me for an upcoming local women's self defense gig. That was nice of him to do that.

Regards,

Steve Scott
Monroe County Martial Arts
[email protected]

aprilbrenner

White Belt
Reaction score
Don Burns anyone hear of him or know anything about him just wondering cause he teaches martial arts at the INDIANA UNIVERSITY MARTIAL ARTS program so i was thinking about go to I.U
He's more than just some guy. He was my first martial arts instructor in 1988 at Indiana University. I was one of his first Hapkido students. He founded IU's martial arts program. Because of this one inspirational man I continued to study numerous forms of martial arts throughout my life, even earning world titles. He would remember me as April Wilber. Don Burns touched, inspired and spawned thousands of martial artists. He is a legend and someone to be highly respected. Hope that helps answer your question.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He's more than just some guy. He was my first martial arts instructor in 1988 at Indiana University. I was one of his first Hapkido students. He founded IU's martial arts program. Because of this one inspirational man I continued to study numerous forms of martial arts throughout my life, even earning world titles. He would remember me as April Wilber. Don Burns touched, inspired and spawned thousands of martial artists. He is a legend and someone to be highly respected. Hope that helps answer your question.
I wonder if the OP is still a student at Indiana. He only asked the question 14 years ago, so he’s probably a sophomore by now :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Hi April. Welcome to MartialTalk.

Helen Bryant

White Belt
Reaction score

Hi April, Don Burns, my brother, lives in La Mesa California. He is still the legend you spoke about. He is continuing to inspire and touch all the residents where he lives. His email is [email protected]
I'm sure he would love to hear from you and any of his students and friends.