• Depends on the situation.

• Nope, never, it aint my business.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
markulous said:
If I don't know the whole story then usually not unless its blatently obvious that an innoncent person is being taken advantage of. If I see two guys beating up one guy I usually won't step in. Who knows why they are fighting? That one guy getting jumped could have just attacked one of their mothers. Just because someone or some people have an advantage there is no reason to jump in and take it away from them. But If I see a little kid being grabbed by 2 masked men or an old woman getting her purse taken then yeah I am gonna step in.
The same for me. :asian:
hardheadjarhead said:
Whatever moral or ethical responsibilities we have as martial artists are derived from us as individuals. Our stances might or might not be based upon precepts our instructors follow.
Very well put, Steve! :ultracool

K

Kirsty x

It would depend on the situation.
If I knew I would be able to help and not make things worse.
My friend once tried to help this lady who was being attacked by her partner, and it all back fired as the two of them actually turned on my friend.
So sometimes you gotta be careful.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was this way long before I became a cop...Why? I dont know..I think it was due to all of the "better not get involved attitudes" I encountered..

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I still say "every time", but I learned some lessons.
I have gotten involved in a few situations that involved women being accosted, one bar fight and one other street altercation.

The big lesson came in dealing with a guy assaulting a woman on the street.
I saw him knock her down and was ready to start punching her. I started yelling at him on my way across the street. He got up and came after me, and she did too. It turned out to be a domestic thing, which any cop can tell you can be a dangerously explosive situation.

The next time I came upon the same situation I was slower to respond and did so more cautiously.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My tendency as a teacher is to get involved, but it would really depend on the situation. If it was two drunks beating wach other and not in danger of hurting others...probably not. I did get involved once when a guy was punching wis wife in the face while she was holding their baby. Nice guy. Many stitches for him.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It would really depend on the situation. If she was screaming for help, then yes. But, if she says she doesnt want any help but she was still being assaulted, then yes. Other than that, I would let it go.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on the situation, I think this holds true whether or not you are a martial artist.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Any person that has any morals what so ever will step in if they see an injustice that can be fixed with the skills they have learned in the Dojo.

IE: Bullying

huntly_kickboxing

White Belt
Reaction score
Thats a hard one, I have stopped to help a woman in distress only to end up having her tell me to mind my own business it was her man hitting her!!!. I stopped the beating as they both decided to pick on me!!!! Then the police had 2 witnesses saying I was harassing them!!!! So my knight ideals are still there but no i would leave it for police and save my sklills for the ring.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair question. Still not voting so as not to skew results, but to answer the question...

It all depends. If I am off duty but driving my work car (I have the thing 24/7, am on call, etc.) then I am not really off duty and will act accordingly.

If I am in my jurisdiction, and it is a situation that warrants intervention, and I am in a position to do something appropriate then yes. (and as noted above, that might be just calling for help.)
If I have been drinking then no, not unless someone is at risk for really serious harm. The liability to me has gone up too high if I act.
If I am out of my jurisdiction....depends on where I am and what the circumstances are.
To give some examples; bar fight...not getting involved. I will be a good witness when/if I am needed. Traffic crash; If I can get to it I will help out. Convenience store robbery; depends on what I can do safely.
For an off-duty officer, getting directly involved is often a complicated balancing act between what's happening that's demanding involvement, and what's happening for the off-duty officer. If I'm out with my 1-year old niece -- I'm very unlikely to jump into the fight; I'm getting on the phone and calling for the working cops. If I'm alone, I might get involved -- or I might still simply call it in. (One exception; if it's another officer in trouble -- I'm going in!) Sometimes, an off-duty officer jumping into the middle of something actually creates a more dangerous situation than previously existed for everyone.

Note, though, that there's one level of involvement that should always be available. SUMMONING the working cops, even if you have to run for a pay phone or tell someone else with a phone to call. (Often, that's what's needed -- lot's of people will stand around and assume that someone else will call. If you don't have a phone, and you see something... Tell that guy next to you to call! He's probably on the phone anyway!)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would agree...no matter what, contact the cops. I also wouldn't leave the scene if I had made the decision to wait for the cops based on what is going on - there are times when you really can't do anything without making it worse or just getting yourself or the other person seriously hurt. If I did choose to get involved before the cops came, I would make every effort possible to have at the minimum, a witness, if not, someone to help out.

The point is that you never know your opponent....but there are also times when you need to get involved if nothing else, just to help.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Involvement would depend on the situation

When most of us think of "involvement" we think of physically inserting ourselves into the altercation. It could also mean calling the cops. Clearly one doesn't want to add oneself to the list of potential victims of some maniac and therefore one should not attempt to tackle someone that one has little or no hope of prevailing against or thwarting. On the other hand, I'd probably say "Screw it. I'm going in."

Latest Discussions