Would you call in your absence?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm a martial arts instructor in one art, a student in another, and a high school teacher by profession. At the high school where I teach, students are expected to have their parents call-in and excuse their absences. I'm a stickler about this. I explain that if you have a job and can't show up, you sure as hell better call-in to your boss and make arrangements, or you are likely to be fired. The same goes for missed appointments with your doctor, lawyer, tax man, or whoever. If you can't make it, you better call-in, --in advance if possible. So, I follow the same policy with the guy I train under. If I can't make it, I make sure to call and leave a brief message. I consider it a matter of courtesy and respect. And, since his class is small, it's important to know if several people are not going to make it on a given night. So anyway, I've started requiring the same courtesy from my students. Students with good attendance and all absences called-in get a reduced rate. The rest go on "probation" and shape up or drop out! If teaching the martial arts is also about teaching responsibility and respect, I don't think it's a lot to ask. Now, I know that this might not be workable in a large commercial school. I teach in a small group, so I don't have to deal with a zillion messages. And, yes, I've lost a few students. But, basically, I don't want to waste my time with flaky students who repeatedly miss class and don't even have the courtesy to call me! How do the rest of you feel?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It depends on what kind of outfit you are running.

The school where I study is open six-days a week, with a published training schedule. Students are allowed to show up to every class in their age group. Students are encouraged to attend at least two classes per week.

With this type of schedule, an excused absence is not necissary.

I visited another school last fall, in which classes were held in a different facility, and only twice per week. In that environment, I think a phone call is appropriate.

I think the final concern is going to be, is does the policy defeat its purpose. If you want to run a martial arts program, and the policy is chasing students away, you will not long be running a martial arts program.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach a twice-a-week class, and I expect my students to call me when they're not going to come.

First, I let them know when I won't be there, due to weather, illness, travel, etc. - other than weather, I make sure I have a substitute, but I still tell them ahead of time when I won't be there if I can, and I expect the same level of courtesy from them.

Second, I worry about my students when they don't show and don't call.

Third, they need to know that they are expected to show up for class; I have several students who used to not call, or send message with the spouse of another student, and thought that it didn't matter if they showed or not... until I told them I was tracking their attendance, and showed some of them how often they missed class - and why and how it affects their progress.

Since I announced a policy that students who didn't call first (if possible) or at all (if calling first wasn't possible) and who missed more than 20% of the classes in a month wouldn't test, attendance - and calls - have gone way up. And it's not like I'm hard to contact - students can call my home, my cell, send a text, or send email, to me or to my assistant. No one gets in trouble for missing class unless they repeatedly miss for non-work, non-illness reasons - by which I mean that I understand family visits and such, but if you miss 3 classes in 2 weeks for parties, you're not serious about your training... and while you're welcome in class, I'll be concentrating on other students. Several of my students have told me since I instituted this policy that they call their friends now, too, when they'll be absent or late to things - and they've now noticed their friends don't contact them when they aren't going to show, and it bothers them - and it didn't before I started this.

If you're expected somewhere and will be significantly late or absent, it's only polite to let someone know - but if you weren't taught this by your parents, and your friends don't do it either, you don't realize that it's impolite until someone shows you why.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach twice a week in a non-profit program. I expect my students to call if they aren't going to attend. Part of the reason is, because I run a small program with low ranking students, I need to know who I can expect will be so I can plan class around who will be there & who may be able to help out.

For example, I have 7 people from one family in my class. The oldest 3 are my highest ranked students & help out in class every day. Today, they will not be there, so I have no-one to help in my first class & less students to prepare for at the same time.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like others have said, it depends on class size. When I was taking private lessons, of course I called when I was unable to make it and my instructor called when he was unable. Most of the time we'd just reschedule, sometimes, when that wasn't possible, I would have a private lesson from one of the other Black Belts. At my school, higher ranked students are required to assist in teaching at least an hour per week. Most of us are there for every class, when we are not able to make it, we call. It is really a common courtesy.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have always taught small groups so I always thought it would be nice if people let me know they where NOT going to be there. many times I would have a class prepared in my mind that just would not work if certian students where not there.
I also do not like showing up at class and sitting on my butt and have no one show up. I have wasted my time.
I used to call my instructor to let him know if I was not going to be there.

Now I do study with a few people even today and one is a large class that is 3 hours away and the others are smaller classes . The larger class I do not call they expect me when I show up (thats all because of the distance I travel to get there), the smaller classes I call the instructor at home ( we are friends) if I am not going to be there

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My instructor required a minimum of 24 hours notice of absence - I ask for the same.

Exceptions are granted on a case by case basis - and I never saw a "1 strike and you're out" situation - But I have seen people suspended or removed for both failure to give notice and failure to be on time.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the instructional format; a big school, with lots of classes and no "standard attendance" schedule, probably doesn't need students calling in, though it doesn't hurt. A small club set up like where I teach... I want to know. It's really frustrating for me to make arrangements to be at the facility, for it to be open, and have no one show up. I understand that people have things come up... but I'd appreciate knowing up front. If I know I only have certain people, I may shape the plans and bring appropriate gear for them. And, like someone else said, I worry about my students.

With regard to life outside class... It's basic courtesy to notify someone if you'll miss any sort of appointment. In fact, many years ago, I instituted a simple procedure for that sort of thing. I set a certain block of time aside for an appointment. If you're late... I wait a reasonable period, and then continue with my day. If time with me didn't mean enough to you not to be late... I've got better things to do. (Obviously, this can be mitigated if you let me know...)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, It is not required to call for any absence in our kempo classes.

It is nice when they do tell us they cannot make it to class. It is more a courtesy thing.

For our assistant Instructors? ...it would be better to call everytime if they cannot make it to classes...this helps the Instructor with his plans for the classes.

NOTE: by requiring them to call if absence...this will lead to better attendance....than if you do not require them to call.

Calling in absence should be Sensi's choice if they wish it to be a requrement to call.

Aloha,

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a martial arts instructor in one art, a student in another, and a high school teacher by profession. At the high school where I teach, students are expected to have their parents call-in and excuse their absences. I'm a stickler about this. I explain that if you have a job and can't show up, you sure as hell better call-in to your boss and make arrangements, or you are likely to be fired. The same goes for missed appointments with your doctor, lawyer, tax man, or whoever. If you can't make it, you better call-in, --in advance if possible. So, I follow the same policy with the guy I train under. If I can't make it, I make sure to call and leave a brief message. I consider it a matter of courtesy and respect. And, since his class is small, it's important to know if several people are not going to make it on a given night. So anyway, I've started requiring the same courtesy from my students. Students with good attendance and all absences called-in get a reduced rate. The rest go on "probation" and shape up or drop out! If teaching the martial arts is also about teaching responsibility and respect, I don't think it's a lot to ask. Now, I know that this might not be workable in a large commercial school. I teach in a small group, so I don't have to deal with a zillion messages. And, yes, I've lost a few students. But, basically, I don't want to waste my time with flaky students who repeatedly miss class and don't even have the courtesy to call me! How do the rest of you feel?

sounds reasonable to me!

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't really know how this is 'officially' done as my teacher has never emphasized it or something, but generally I will notify him in advance. Usually, I know about one/two weeks in advance that I will not attend training, so then I''ll just say it to him, and otherwise send him an e-mail.

I think I agree with everyone who considers this as 'basic courtesy', however, I do not agree with 'punishing' people if they can't attend class and told so in advance. I mean, well, I can understand that it's a bit stupid to miss 3 lessons because you're having parties but, well, you know, martial arts is only one part of your life. Some people do have friends that require their presence at parties or other trivial things, and even though they might be trivial from a martial arts point of view, they are very important for friendships etc. Now you could say 'they're training martial arts with me, not friendship' but I think that they are supposed to get as much attention as any other student during training. I mean - it does say something that they are still a member and still attending a few classes, doesn't it? They could also quite and don't even try anymore... If an instructor were to discourage even that, I don't think that students would be very happy with that...

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, it's certainly not required, but I do call my instructor so he knows what's going on. Especially now since I help teach the kids class.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't absolutely require it but I strongly recommend that students let me know when they're going to miss class...and why.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
At the high school where I teach, students are expected to have their parents call-in and excuse their absences.

So, I follow the same policy with the guy I train under. If I can't make it, I make sure to call and leave a brief message. I consider it a matter of courtesy and respect.

So anyway, I've started requiring the same courtesy from my students. Students with good attendance and all absences called-in get a reduced rate. The rest go on "probation" and shape up or drop out!

If teaching the martial arts is also about teaching responsibility and respect, I don't think it's a lot to ask.

I agree with you 99%! Yes, teaching the Martial Art is about teaching responsibility and respect (in my opinion), and it is not too much to ask, or require. As others have said, small schools tend to be affected by unexcused absences, but any size school would be serving their students better by teaching them this positive habit that does help them in the real world (friends, job, etc.). You have given very good reasons for doing this, and agree with all of them whole-heartedly!

In small schools, advanced notice lets the instructor know what to plan for in class. Larger schools proceed regardless, but one option is to have the student address the instructor upon the next day they attend class. They should apologize for missing the previous class, and give a reason. The instructor can decide what to do from there. My larger schools have been run 5 days per week with students showing up to whatever class they can make for their rank level, thus there is no unexcused absence unless they miss an entire week. I keep attendance, and a certain percentage is required to test. I do require assistant instructors, and all Black Belts to call in advance with good reason for missing class, or if they will be late.

When I was in Korea, some of the Grandmasters there actually drove their mini-vans around the streets and alleys of Seoul, picking up young students after school as they stood waiting on the street corners in their Taekwondo uniforms. If students were not present at the beginning of class, the Grandmaster was on the phone, calling the parents and asking them where their child was. They were very insistent about attendance, and treated it more like mandatory public school attendance - - but that was in Korea.

In the U.S. we can either reject students who are going to place the Martial Art on the same level of soccer and beach volleyball, and only teach dedicated individuals who want to sacrifice and place priorities for a few years on something very important, or we can accept the less dedicated students and try to mold them over time, but giving most of our attention to those who already value the training as being worth many times more than what Bill Gates could afford.

I like the fact that you reward those who do not miss classes; it is good psychological, positive reinforcement of good behavior. However (here is the 1% where I respectfully differ with you), for the same psychological reasons, I would not employ any punishment for negative behavior (probation, kicking students out, etc.). I believe we are there to help them acquire these positive attributes over time. Some will get it quicker, but I don't want to give up on a student simply because they don't have good manners yet. Perhaps, those with perfect attendance each month can be rewarded by ordering a piece of training equipment at a huge discount (50%, or 75% off).

Sometimes, at a testing or other event, you can bring up one or more students who have good attendance, in front of all the parents and other students, and give them a gift for free, and maybe a certificate or ribbon for perfect attendance. If you really want to encourage students to call in to excuse an absence, bring up a student who does this, and compliment them saying, "Even though Johnny has missed 3 classes this past month, he called to let me know why he wasn't going to be here, and I really appreciate that... so, here is a free uniform for your outstanding dedication and good manners." See how many start calling in after that!

Chief Master D.J. Eisenhart

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In both my former, and current school, we were/are expected to call if we were going to miss class. I don't think class size makes a difference. I think the reason some feel they don't need to call is because they are paying for training, but that's a wrong mindset.

I like geezer's method of reduced rates for the more responsible students.

Bobby135

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Seeing as I am the only person in my current class, I let my Instructor know if I am not going to be there, and he does the same. It is more common courtesy than anything else.

Latest Discussions