Would it be better if the old KTA was around

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering if things in TKD would be better if the old KTA was still running things, instead of the Kuukiwon and the USAT or the WTF. Just would like to get everybody views about this subject.
Terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Before or after Gen Choi was in charge? Correct me if I'm wrong, but he was in charge of the KTA at one point. Right?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Before or after Gen Choi was in charge? Correct me if I'm wrong, but he was in charge of the KTA at one point. Right?
Yes I believe you are right let say before. OK.
Terry

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I was wondering if things in TKD would be better if the old KTA was still running things, instead of the Kuukiwon and the USAT or the WTF. Just would like to get everybody views about this subject.
Terry

It would certainly be much less sport oriented than it is now. However, the KTA had its own intense political issues. Hard to tell. So many good schools have gone independent because of politics (and many so that they could promote themselves, LOL). I know that TKD, when it was still known as "Korean" Karate had a reputation as being hardcore as opposed to today when, largely as a result of sport and the McDojang phenomenon, it is considered lightly in many circles.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
It would certainly be much less sport oriented than it is now. However, the KTA had its own intense political issues. Hard to tell. So many good schools have gone independent because of politics (and many so that they could promote themselves, LOL). I know that TKD, when it was still known as "Korean" Karate had a reputation as being hardcore as opposed to today when, largely as a result of sport and the McDojang phenomenon, it is considered lightly in many circles.

You are so right Korean Karate was a hard core Art at one time, I know my school is independent for this very reason. I do not wish to be lumped into the whole Mc Dojo scenerio. In the 80's life was so much simplier and all did was train for the love of training never asking about a stupid belt test, now aday all these or most students want is a BB in 18 months who cares if they know AYTHING JUST GIVE THEM A BELT.
Terry

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another interesting question.

The Kukkiwon was essentially an "outgrowth" if you will, of the old KTA as the art grew larger, it was decided to have a non-Kwan-based central authority. I guess you could say the Kukkiwon is the evolution of what the KTA was originally since the KTA originally was the central authority.

Today the KTA is essentially like the USAT, the member national association for Korea to the WTF. The KTA does not issue rank certificates or certify instructors though it did at one time.

Miles

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny, I have heard rumors from some of my ATA friends that the ATA and the KTA have formed a limited partnership and is working towards teaching the Songahm style of TKD in Korea. They even had a KTA banner at the ATA world champs in Little Rock this year.......

.......then again it all could be the grapevine.

-Fluffy

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
Funny, I have heard rumors from some of my ATA friends that the ATA and the KTA have formed a limited partnership and is working towards teaching the Songahm style of TKD in Korea. They even had a KTA banner at the ATA world champs in Little Rock this year.......

-Fluffy

Wow I did not know that fluffy, who was your source on this, has it been finalized or just in the works.
Terry

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Wow I did not know that fluffy, who was your source on this, has it been finalized or just in the works.
Terry

I have heard things along these lines as well, although nothing specific. The ATA is holding a larger number of training camps in Korea now, I believe. They have always had some - mostly, IIRC, as a junket for those who wanted the "Korean experience", but now it seems from what I've seen and heard that they are now in earnest. Connections are being solidified, of that I am sure. Then again, I've been out of the ATA for twenty years now and only get snippets online and from ATA friends. I wish I could train in TKD again, but the only school I'd consider (Kukkiwon certified independent, 3-5 years to achieve first Dan ranking) is too far away for me to make their classes after work.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I have heard things along these lines as well, although nothing specific. The ATA is holding a larger number of training camps in Korea now, I believe. They have always had some - mostly, IIRC, as a junket for those who wanted the "Korean experience", but now it seems from what I've seen and heard that they are now in earnest. Connections are being solidified, of that I am sure. Then again, I've been out of the ATA for twenty years now and only get snippets online and from ATA friends. I wish I could train in TKD again, but the only school I'd consider (Kukkiwon certified independent, 3-5 years to achieve first Dan ranking) is too far away for me to make their classes after work.

Just to add, My sorce was another 5th Degree out of Houston.....I will not name him, for obvious reasons.

Mr. Randall, who was your instructor in the ATA and how long were you in? I was with Master (now Grand Master) Jack Pierce, and still am - just not with the ATA.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fluffy said:

-Fluffy

I believe it was actually the ATA and the Kukkiwon, not the KTA. My understanding is that GM LEE, Haeng Ung's instructor was GM UHM, Woon Kyu, current president of Kukkiwon. The Kukkiwon was going to recognize ATA rank. However, with GM Lee's passing, I am not sure if this program went forward.

I can tell you for sure that the classroom material at the Kukkiwon Instructor course for marketing and advertising your dojang was very much like that of the ATA (from what I've seen at a friend's ATA school).

Miles

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
I believe it was actually the ATA and the Kukkiwon, not the KTA. My understanding is that GM LEE, Haeng Ung's instructor was GM UHM, Woon Kyu, current president of Kukkiwon. The Kukkiwon was going to recognize ATA rank. However, with GM Lee's passing, I am not sure if this program went forward.

I can tell you for sure that the classroom material at the Kukkiwon Instructor course for marketing and advertising your dojang was very much like that of the ATA (from what I've seen at a friend's ATA school).

Miles

Well, I hope they do soon. I would love KKW recognition, I may not be as active in the ATA, but my mom ownd an ATA club in Seattle, if I could just switch over my 4th Degree it would be great. If not, I'll just go through the ranks like everyone else.....

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
....................., I may not be as active in the ATA, but my mom ownd an ATA club in Seattle.....

Your Mom owned a dojang? How cool is that? :)

Miles

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry
There's a very good chance that TKD as it's known today wouldn't exist at all. Taekwondo evolved. History tells us that that which cannot evolve, dies. I don't think Taekwondo is any different, given its relatively short but volitale history. There were those who disagreed with the organization of the KTA at the time. Where are they? Then again with the Kukkiwon? Do they still exist? Sure. Somewhere. According to my Sabumnim, Tang soo do and Yudo, both rich in Korean history, are no longer even practiced in Korea.

Would TKD be better if the KTA was still running things? No doubt. But we wouldn't even know they existed, and thereby wouldn't even know to ask the question.

Just a different perspective.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
Your Mom owned a dojang? How cool is that? :)

Miles

Sorry, I ment own(s). But she's getting long in the tooth, I really don't want to take over an ATA school, We'll see what happens.......as a matter of fact, she has owned two in her life.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

NOTE: General Choi was the first President of the KTA...so there is no "Before he was President" (this is the best of my research)!

Secondly, the KTA was the first attempt by the Republic of Korea government to garner control of Taekwon-Do. It is in these early beginnings that the kwans were drawn under one communal banner. Good from the standpoint of uniformity and very important in the expantion of the art called Taekwon-Do. On the other hand it is very probable that all the politics we incounter today are do to this very occurence.

"Six of one....half a dozen of the other"....

TAEKWON!
Spookey

Latest Discussions