Worst Injuries??

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I need to add to my list, torn hamstring. Not a complete tear, but dang if it does not hurt pretty bad.

And dislocated middle finger. Middle knuckle. Hurts, but not unbearable.

Michele

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Cyclona,

I am new to Martial Talk. I had a complete ACL tear in May 2007. The surgeon said four words "No ACL...no karate". I was in surgery the following week.

I was completely off the dojo floor for twelve weeks. At twelve weeks, I was back on a very limited basis with a heavy duty ACL brace (no stances, no kicks). I was given no restrictions at six months with a brace. I wore the brace for about 11 months.

This injury tested my patience. What did I do? A lot of physical therapy. I also started a blog, joined martial arts forums, spent time in the dojo watching, helped students and read martials arts books. Recovery from this injury has made me stronger.

Good luck!

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Worst: Jammed my right foot big toe sparring in a tournament in 1992. Hurt a little when it happened, but didn't really notice it much. Started to really hurt later that evening and into the next week. I don't remember how long it took to recover. Not very long.

R. McLain

kerc

White Belt
Reaction score
That's why I'm being very careful with proper technique right off the start (I'm just a gold belt now). I'm also conveying the same carefulness to my son. Take it easy, make it strong and firm, but don't over-extend your abilities.

I'm 37, so I gotta watch out for myself... ;)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a bulging disk in my back that sidelined me for a good 3-4 months. I continued to teach during this time, but demonstration was impossible for me and I gained a new appreciation for the art of conveying information verbally.
Still have to pace myself and I will have to do therapeutic exercises for the rest of my life.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not a TKD student, but I thight I'd chime in anyway..The only thing I ever injuried while training was my pride..

Wasabinyc

White Belt
Reaction score
dislocated jaw
Hip bone or thingamajig popped out. This one hurt like a biatchh

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Worst injuries. Broken toes, broken fingers, torn calf muscle 4 weeks before 3rd degree test, torn calf muscle during black belt test. Shoulder surgery for osteoarthritis's, and bone spurs.

I found that watching class, paying attention to the differences in people doing forms: Black belt vs colored belt for example: helped me to see in my self what needed to be improved. Watching sometimes you will see things that you can not while participating. Working on the sidelines slow and easy helped as well. An injury on one part of your body does not prevent working with other aspects. With calf muscle torn I worked heavily on making sure that my blocks and punches were clean. With the shoulder surgery I was able to concentrate in kicking. As other people have stated before there is noting wrong with visualizing patterns, self defenses etc.

OP
C

Cyclona

White Belt
Reaction score
I was just starting to learn the pattern for red stripe....I'm sure I've forgotten most of it by now...in any case I go to the dr's next week to get an update, it will be 3 weeks next wednesday, I hope they'll tell me 1 more week in the cast and then off to physio. Not 3 more weeks in the cast....as it could be. I will see how my foot looks/feels once I get out of the cast....

Going to the dojang is just depressing I can't watch a class I just want to join it, it's like torture for me to watch. Ah well. Soon enough I'll be back to training.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just starting to learn the pattern for red stripe....I'm sure I've forgotten most of it by now...in any case I go to the dr's next week to get an update, it will be 3 weeks next wednesday, I hope they'll tell me 1 more week in the cast and then off to physio. Not 3 more weeks in the cast....as it could be. I will see how my foot looks/feels once I get out of the cast....

Going to the dojang is just depressing I can't watch a class I just want to join it, it's like torture for me to watch. Ah well. Soon enough I'll be back to training.
Write your pattern out. Visualize yourself going through the motions. You'll keep it fresh in your mind -- and be surprised at how much is retained.

midnight star

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
the worst injury i got was a badly bruised rib!
this was from sparring in a comp when i was green belt.
i couldn't cough,sneeze,breathe without being in pain!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the worst injury i got was a badly bruised rib!
this was from sparring in a comp when i was green belt.
i couldn't cough,sneeze,breathe without being in pain!

Thats a big ouch! Welcome to MT, pop over to the meet and greet and say hello, the others would love to say hello back :)

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Broken big toe, displaced fracture w/ surgery and 2 screws to hold the bone together - will have those screws from now on. Talk about a tough injury - had to re-learn how to walk and and to do my form. Now, almost a year later - am getting to where I have about 95-98% range of motion back and can pivot. I was determined not to quit! I love MA/TKD!

OP
C

Cyclona

White Belt
Reaction score
I got a second xray at e weeks after the 5th metatarsal break....bone is back in place but has not filled in. ie. Currently there's no scar tissue or new bone growing in place of the break. Dr. doesn't know which will grow, bone or scar tissue. So I keep the cast on another 3 weeks. My calf muscle is already atrophied.....my right leg (injured one) was the bigger, stronger one, now it's smaller!! Le sigh

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
The atrophy will get better as you start using that leg more - it was that way for me.