Worlds Happiest countries

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Just curious? ...does Denmark? ...allow illegal drugs?

My vote is "Fishing"

Aloha

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a little baffled by this list... not because it doesn't make sense, but because statistically, the Scandinavian countries have had notoriously high suicide rates compared with other European nations. The article here sheds some light on this:

Season

Most suicides occur in the spring. The month of May has been noted for its high rate of suicide.

The speculation is that during the winter and early spring when people are depressed, they often are surrounded by others who are feeling downhearted because of the weather. However, with the arrival of the spring season and the month of May, people who are depressed because of the weather are cheered and people who are depressed for other reasons remain depressed. As others cheer up, those who remain miserable must confront their own unhappiness.

Lack of daylight correlates with depression and suicide. The regions with long, dark winters have high suicide rates, such as Scandinavia and parts of Alaska, such as Nome. Certainly, persons with seasonal affective disorders (SAD) who live in these regions experience depression in the absence of sunlight and, hence, have a higher susceptibility to depression.

'Melancholy Dane' and 'brooding Swede' are almost prototypical clichés. So I'm wondering how to reconcile these seemingly incompatible characterizations of the Scandinavians: gloomies with strongly suicidal tendencies and amongst the happiest people on earth... :confused:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As for Canada being higher than the US, I attribute that to those bastards dumping Alanis Morrissette, Celine Dion, and Bryan Adams on us... :uhyeah:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As for Canada being higher than the US, I attribute that to those bastards dumping Alanis Morrissette, Celine Dion, and Bryan Adams on us... :uhyeah:

I agree and do not forget Bryan Adams.

You know Kreth I find it hard to believe that Canada can be rated higher than New York, New Jersey or Michigan. Truly these are the happiest places on earth! :rofl:

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, but think of what a sad state your music collections would be in if it weren't for Canadian and British bands ;)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Reminds me of a joke my Polish brother-in-law told me:

Q: What happened when Poland exiled all their former secret police to Russia?
A: The average IQ of both countries increased dramatically...

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my travels i've always found that the people who are happiest are those who have the more "simple" life. They take more joy out of the simple things - like being able to have a day of rest.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree and do not forget Bryan Adams.
Um, he was the last one on my list...

You know Kreth I find it hard to believe that Canada can be rated higher than New York, New Jersey or Michigan. Truly these are the happiest places on earth! :rofl:
How dare you compare those two lesser states with the Center of the Known Universe. But I know NY would be much happier if we were allowed to shoot NJ hunters and drivers at the border. :p

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Um, he was the last one on my list...

How dare you compare those two lesser states with the Center of the Known Universe. But I know NY would be much happier if we were allowed to shoot NJ hunters and drivers at the border. :p

Hey Kreth I know that Alma, Michigan is the center of the known universe and also the happiest place on earth but New York City is a close second.
icon6.gif