Worlds Happiest countries

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A study pulled together from sources and surveys found that good health care and education are as important as wealth to modern happiness

Feeling sad? Researchers at Britain's University of Leicester reckon you might just be in the wrong country. According to Adrian White, an analytic social psychologist at Leicester who developed the first "World Map of Happiness," Denmark is the happiest nation in the world.

The story:
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/oct2006/gb20061011_072596.htm

The Top 12
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/10/happiest_countries/index_01.htm?chan=rss_topSlideShows_ssi_5

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
WHAT the USA is not in the top 10 :eek: :rolleyes:

World's Happiest Countries

No. 1: Denmark
No. 2: Switzerland
No. 3: Austria
No. 4: Iceland
No. 5: Bahamas
No. 6: Finland
No. 7: Sweden
No. 8: Bhutan
No. 9: Brunei
No. 10: Canada
No. 11: Ireland
No. 12: Luxembourg

Cool thanks

What surprises me is that I have thought about moving to Numbers 1, 3, 4, 7, and 10. Just thought, never did anything about it

And numbers 9 and 11 surprise me, don't know why they just do.

Number 8, not to long ago, never had any problems between Adults and teenagers until they got televisions and at that time it was a big issue that the teenagers wanted to dress differently and were beginning to talk back to adults.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Number 8, not to long ago, never had any problems between Adults and teenagers until they got televisions and at that time it was a big issue that the teenagers wanted to dress differently and were beginning to talk back to adults.

8 is a rather interesting country. They are making the move to democracy, be order of the King, but the people want to stay as a monarchy.

And the TV issue definitely throws a interesting case into the case against TV: http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,975769,00.html

Anyways, USA isn't too much farther down, there are a lot of ties in there so the 1 through 12 is a little off.

1-2 tied
3-4 tied
5-7 tied
8-12 tied

Where there was a tie they went alphabetical. USA is two groups down. 15 above it and 9 others tied with it. Of course staring with a "U" it's near the bottom of those 10 ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
8 is a rather interesting country. They are making the move to democracy, be order of the King, but the people want to stay as a monarchy.

And the TV issue definitely throws a interesting case into the case against TV: http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,975769,00.html

Anyways, USA isn't too much farther down, there are a lot of ties in there so the 1 through 12 is a little off.

1-2 tied
3-4 tied
5-7 tied
8-12 tied

Where there was a tie they went alphabetical. USA is two groups down. 15 above it and 9 others tied with it. Of course staring with a "U" it's near the bottom of those 10 ;)

Bhutan is a very interesting place and no matter what they (Bhutanese) say (they are WAY to nice about this) I still blame TV :uhyeah:

After reading you post I thought hey if we go with America instead of USA we might be number 1… but then I remembered Afghanistan, Africa, Albania and Algeria... but at least now I think we come in 5th :D

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then explain No. 4: Iceland :uhyeah:

Winnipeg gets colder then Iceland. Our record low in Winnipeg is 5 degrees below Icelands (-45 C to -39.7 C) Although we do get a fair bit warmer in the summer

Head further up into some of the Northern communities, and the lows get even lower. -52 in Whitehorse (pop ~20,000) for example

They also are ranked as the most developed country in the world:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_...ries_.28HDI_range_from_0.968_down_to_0.843.29

Oh, and tall blondes might have something to do with it.

Or it could just be less time spent watching American sitcoms...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well everybody knows that Alma, Michigan is the happiest place on earth.

At least if you love snow and are a positive person!
icon6.gif
(if not then we do not want you
icon10.gif
)

It is like DisneyWorld here everyday of the year!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Winnipeg gets colder then Iceland. Our record low in Winnipeg is 5 degrees below Icelands (-45 C to -39.7 C)

Actually I did not know that.

Oh, and tall blondes might have something to do with it.

Or it could just be less time spent watching American sitcoms...

NOW where getting somewhere.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
After reading you post I thought hey if we go with America instead of USA we might be number 1… but then I remembered Afghanistan, Africa, Albania and Algeria... but at least now I think we come in 5th :D

If you look at all the nations with the same score then the US is sixth (along with nine others) and Australia (the one I'm interested in) is seventh (along with six others). The list is a bit missleading with its alphabetical layout.

Even so, the nations at the top and bottom are pretty much the ones I'd expect. Even Brunei is not so much of a surprise. It has very strong Muslim ideals without being a fundamentalist state, and its only little which helps. Many of the top ten nations are rather small.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well everybody knows that Alma, Michigan is the happiest place on earth.

At least if you love snow and are a positive person!
icon6.gif
(if not then we do not want you
icon10.gif
)

It is like DisneyWorld here everyday of the year!

No just cool people!
icon6.gif

cool people...hahaha...snow...cool people...hahaha :lfao:

your a sick man brian, snow sucks. :p

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

You see I see snow as that elixir of life just another variation of the bountiful water that our planet and people need and enjoy.
icon6.gif

Nothing quite like a good grappling session in the snow, water, etc.
icon14.gif

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

HEY!!! I rather like snow... lots and lots of snow :)

Nothing quite like a good grappling session in the snow, water, etc.
icon14.gif

Nothing like putting on the boots and trudging out to beat a tree :EG: