World Cup Brasil

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it is that time again. Three weeks or so of football heaven, or hell depending on your point of view. Looking forward to seeing England have a bash. I think the country has moved on from talking about the 1966 win and finally approaching a tournament with no pressure. I don't think we will win it, that would be hard to accomplish with a squad of youngsters and veterans. Still though, with Rickie Lambert at 32 playing in his first tournament, and Ross Barkley having no fear when playing football, those two should have a good world cup.

The biggest question on most England fans at the moment is the Rooney question. Should he start or not. Roy Hodgson will not be afraid to drop him if needed. Yeah he played better than the UK media gave him credit for in Miami the other day, but when does sentiment apply when it is the world cup. Still he is only 28, but he made his Everton debut at 16, then was a 17 year old doing a job for us that a player in his twenties would have been doing for other Premiership clubs. He has been in the Man Utd squad for ten years. As you peeps on this forum will know, injuries take their toll eventually and Rooney has had a few. However he still has a lot to offer and many in the footballing world do credit the fact that he has had to change his game. He has gone from being a striker to a center forward come midfield attacker. That takes a lot to do, but his footballing intelligence has always been there. Now as I have been an Everton fan for some 30+ years now, I hope that Ross Barkley excels at the tournament, but of course a little selfishly I don't, want him to be at Everton for many years.

The downside of our midfield will be the fact that Gerrard and Lampard are 34 and 35 respectively, so this will be their tournament. Gerrard still has a big engine, but Lampard looked tired against Ecuador the other night. Not surprising considering last season with Chelsea, but again sentiment suggests that he will start along Gerrard in the opening game against Italy. Hopefully tonight's game against Honduras will be an indicator of the staring 11 against against Italy. Hopefully Jack Wilshire will have more input over how we play as this kid has some sublime skill. Leighton Baines and Phil Jagielka already play together at Everton, but I still not sure about Gary Cahill in our defence, then Phil Jones, great future in the game, but had tough season with Man Utd. Hopefully Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will recover from his medial ligament damage, but it not looking hopeful.

The best of rest is Daniel Sturridge, had a awesome season with Liverpool and hopefully that will translate over to Brasil. Adam Lallana not sure. Another lower league player come good, but I think he has reached his ultimate skill level. However it turns out in Brasil, I think getting to the quarter finals will be a good result. In my opinion, the final will be contested by Argentina and Brasil. Still looking forward to it :)

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Celtic), Ben Foster (West Brom), Joe Hart (Manchester City)

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Phil Jagielka (both Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones, Chris Smalling (both Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Raheem Sterling (all Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jack Wilshere (both Arsenal).

Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United).

Last edited:

Latest Discussions